1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guaranteed blue eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amyh, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I want some blue eggs, but I'm afraid with my luck, I will get some more EE's and get brown eggs. Not what I'm looking for...

What's the best breed for blue eggs for sure?

2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    auracana/ ameraucana... Most of them are usually mixed though and are called easter egger. They are usually distinguished by the muffs on their face and pea combs.

3. Amyh

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Yeah, I have EE's, but some will lay brown eggs... I want BLUE!!! [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Easter Eggers are what you're referring to.

True, purebred Ameraucanas will give you guaranteed blue eggs - Same with purebred Araucanas. They'll all completely different breeds though.

Araucanas are sort of hard to find and rare, having no tail and tufts on the side of their heads. (no beard or muffs though)

Ameraucanas have beard and muffs, but should not be confused too much with Easter Eggers. They can only be obtained through breeders, not hatcheries or feedstores.

There's quite a few breeders here on BYC who can help you, but most of us sell hatching eggs, not chicks. If you have a broody or an incubator, it is well worth the purchase!!

5. Amyh

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:Easter Eggers are what you're referring to.

True, purebred Ameraucanas will give you guaranteed blue eggs - Same with purebred Araucanas. They'll all completely different breeds though.

Araucanas are sort of hard to find and rare, having no tail and tufts on the side of their heads. (no beard or muffs though)

Ameraucanas have beard and muffs, but should not be confused too much with Easter Eggers. They can only be obtained through breeders, not hatcheries or feedstores.

There's quite a few breeders here on BYC who can help you, but most of us sell hatching eggs, not chicks. If you have a broody or an incubator, it is well worth the purchase!!

Is either breed better for me in NC? It is humid and hot in the Summer and cold for a few months in the Winter. Do you sell hatching eggs Illia???

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I do sell hatching eggs. Not right now, but about in a month.

Both breeds do well where you are. I in fact know a breeder of Araucanas just a state below you, and they're just fine. Both breeds originate down south in the Central America to South American regions, so they're naturally pretty heat and humid hardy. [​IMG]

7. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Buy 'em from someone reliable like Illia. If you go to the local feed store or hatchery, they'll swear up and down they have Araucanas or Ameraucanas and sell you EEs. It seems they don't know the difference.

8. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Go to a breeder. The closer the better.

I would recommend Ameraucanas, pick a color.

No feed store or hatchery Ameraucanas, except chickhatchery.com

9. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i too was looking for blue eggs. so i ordered some Ameraucana hatching eggs off ebay. the picture on ebay was kinda dark, but the eggs looked blue from the picture. then i get them in the mail, and they're the same exact color that my 2 EE lay! All 12, the same exact color! a light greenish/blue....but leaning way more on the green side. i was very disappointed....hatched them out anyway, cute lil' chicks, but i gave them all away cuz i don't want another lt green egg layer. then i wrote BYC to rant and people told me that blue is a very hard color to get....especially since it's a very opinionated color. what one person thinks is blue, another will think it's green etc etc. I've got some OE in the bator now and i'm very excited about them! i have 3 more EE chicks coming in march too.....i've personally said the heck with spending money trying to find the real blue eggs (at least for now)....i'm guessing out of my 3 new EE, they probably won't lay a blue egg. but i'm ok with it now. i've spent enough money this year on hatching eggs and hubby says i'm done with spending anymore...lol!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  10. barrelmom

barrelmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    I recently ordered 12 Ameracauna hatching eggs from mypetchicken.com. Here's what is says on their website:

"True Ameraucana hatching eggs for the rare-breed enthusiast!

Yes, these are real, true Ameraucana eggs, NOT Easter Eggers. These beautiful blue birds will have show prospects in your hatchlings. At this time, we believe we're the only major hatchery that offers true Ameraucana eggs. Colored eggs are always a more brilliant color early every laying season, and slowly fade as the season progresses. Due to the genetics of the blue plumage color, your birds will hatch in blue, black and splash: about 50% of your chicks will be blue, 25% will be black and 25% will be splash (which is white or light blue, often with darker blue flecks in the wings and tail)."

We'll see...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by