Guard Dog

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Abbys Egg Farm, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Abbys Egg Farm

Abbys Egg Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    La Porte TX
    [​IMG]
    I forgot to introduce a very important member of our Chicken herd. This is "Moshie" our Jack Russel/Beagle mix. She is cool with the chickens when they are free ranging and at nite she is one heck of a watch dog. She has nailed 3 possums before and is totally unafraid of taking them on. I let her roam at nite periodically in the hens

2. vthokie

vthokie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    SW VA
    Welcome to BYC! Moshie looks awesome! We're hoping that our 6 month old chocolate lab will become a guard dog and not a predator. Any tips on socializing?

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you are very lucky to have such a good chicken keeping dog

6. redmoo

redmoo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Yes, you are very lucky! I didn't know there were dogs who would protect chickens! My ACD (blue heeler) has already killed one hen. Totally my fault because I was not supervising him closely enough. He is protective of cattle, but this chicken thing is new to him (and me). After he killed the hen, I put her in a garbage bag and whopped him on the head and scolded him. Today, he's showed no aggression, but he's been right by my side. I hate it that I'll have to put him up when the chickens are out unless I can monitor his every move, but for now, I don't trust him. [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Abbys Egg Farm, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Fine looking hound!

8. Abbys Egg Farm

Jul 28, 2013
    La Porte TX
    We socialized Moshie on the leash. Her first instinct was to attack and it took a week with correction before we actually let her loose with them. Of all dogs I have owned in my life she is by far the smartest one I have ever had. I now have the hens seperated in their own free range area and she still looks through the barriers to make sure they are alright. After the hens go to roost Moshie looks forward to being let into their area at night on her patrol duty. Sometimes before the wife and I retire for the nite she might hear or smell something in the alley section. Ya better not be in her way as she will make a beeline to where she has detected the intruder. She will bark and raise a stink till it leaves. She will stay back there for at least 30 minutes till she is sure it is gone then returning to the porch with us. At nite the hens are safe inside their coop which I have an automatic door that shuts.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

10. Abbys Egg Farm

Jul 28, 2013
    La Porte TX
    Thanks. BYC was very influential in me getting starting in my chicken endeavors years ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by