Guard Dogs/Watch Dogs

msdoolittle

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Anyone here have a Guard/Watchdog which they keep at a place OTHER than their residence? We have a business very close to home but not at home (large fabrication/repair shop), and we have had a dog there in the past, but said dog has since passed away, due to old age. I am pondering adopting another dog to keep there. I always feel better with a large dog around, especially since sometimes I am by myself out there. My thoughts are:

would like a traditional Working class breed
a breed that can receive strangers (i.e. customers) well when we are there
a breed/dog which is good with small children (we have 2)

My negative thoughts are:

A Working breed always needs 'a job'; would guarding alone be enough to qualify as 'a job' when we are not there, or would it drive it nuts?
We are there 5-6 days a week all day long, and (obviously) will come check on the dog when we are not there, would THIS drive it nuts?
As we all know: Boredom=destruction. Worried about a dog getting bored out of his gourd!

Our other dog loved being there, enjoyed meeting new people, great with the kids, but would bark ruthlessly (and probably would have defended ruthlessly) when someone came when we were not there.

And, there will be NO chaining, NO penning, none of that ridiculous mess. I am talking about letting the dog have full indoor/outdoor access, just to clarify. I am also fully aware that many Working class dogs are that of an independent mind and need full obedience training and a good leader. I am no dog dodo, BTW; I worked for a veterinarian for several years, a doggie foster 'mom', and have been a dog owner/lover my entire life. Just seeking some input from people w/ experience in this specific situation.

Thoughts? Comments?

Oh, AND, I am also aware that all dogs have different personalities even in the same breed, so... :0)

How big is the yard? Is getting the GD a companion (goat, chickens, cat - something for it to consider guarding besides the property itself) an option?
Do you want a puppy?
As for which breed - any one that is properly socialized should be fine, I would think.

The land is approximately 4 acres. Yes, we can always use a cat! Lol. I do not want a puppy. Preferably a youngster or an adult.

Back
Top Bottom