Guard Dogs

tarajane

Chirping
Feb 8, 2015
What kind of guard dogs do you have, if any to guard your flock and any farm animals you have ? I have been reading and reading and have thought about a Great Pyr. or Kuvase. Any other breeds? OR any other animals for that matter just short of a wolverine.
ep.gif

Where are you located?

How are birds kept / to be kept?

How many birds?

What ages?

Acreage available?

What predators are involved?

Other livestock?

Barn or other enclosed area?

How much are you prepared to spend up front and over the long haul?

I use German Pointers but have used other breeds, hounds mostly for the same purpose. It is never just about the dogs and their breed. It is also about your setup and your habits.

Last edited:
The best dog I ever had that protected my chickens was a pound puppy. He was half dachshund and half white Labrador. He looked like a long backed, miniature lab! He surprised us since he was a timid dog who kept his tail between his legs for the first year and a half that we had him. He was at the bottom of the litter of 12 at the pound I believe. Anyway, when we got chicks, he took to them immediately and he chased off chicken hawks on a regular basis. He only lost one, my rooster, to a great-horned owl; but he he gave that owl one heck of a fight though. He would face off other dogs as well when they thought my free-ranging flock were an easy meal. I'd like to get another dog just like him for my flock.

What kind of guard dogs do you have, if any to guard your flock and any farm animals you have ?  I have been reading and reading and have thought about a Great Pyr. or Kuvase.  Any other breeds? OR any other animals for that matter just short of a wolverine.:eek:

Pyrenees. Best thing I ever did for my free range flock.

When I move it will be to FL. about 20 chickens, 2 turkeys, maybe 2 mini donkeys. good solid coops a little over an acre and I plan on using electric tape all around the coops but I need a Guard Dog for the daytime as well as night. Thanks

Thanks, I will be looking for them when I move this spring. A GP that is..

Last edited:
GP will find an acre tight and the dog will be very expensive relative to its charges.. At work where dogs are used to protect smaller goat / sheep herds (<50 animals), the dogs are being swapped out for donkeys because tlatter are cheaper. A feedlot setting like you will have in all likelihood will be very expensive on the dog side as well. I suggest an English Sheep Dog and good fence to keep other dogs out.

Welcome! About Florida; think hot and humid, ticks and fleas. A dog with a heavy coat will be a burden to him and to you. Your lot size is too small for a big serious GD. If you do want a dog for the mini-farm, think about short haired and people friendly. Get a young dog and raise him up right. I totally agree that a donkey larger than your minis would fit in better. Electric fencing will be your best friend too. Mary

When I move it will be to FL.  about 20 chickens, 2 turkeys, maybe 2 mini donkeys.  good solid coops a little over an acre and I plan on using electric tape all around the coops but I need a Guard Dog for the daytime as well as night.  Thanks

Florida could be a little hot for a Pyre, you would have to keep him groomed well (remove the heavy undercoat). I don't think an acre is too small, mine basically stays around the house even though she can roam if she wishes, she just doesn't. They are not active dogs, so they really don't need alot of space and they do not eat much at all when fully grown. No more than any lab or shepard would. A donkey may be neat, but I wonder if donkeys patrol at night? I would think an acre would be too small for a donkey and your grass would be gone quickly. I don't know alot about donkeys so I can't comment on what kind of care they need, whether it's similar to horses. Anyway, just my thoughts, but if you are wanting a LGD you could look at the shorter hair breeds such as an Anatolian or you could look at a cross between an Anatolian and Pyre. They are usually much cheaper and may have the shorter coat. I happened to get a good deal on my dog, she didn't cost much at all. You can often find them on craigslist, but I would suggest a young one if you get one from there, so you don't have to deal with other peoples raising issues. You can train and impress them on what you want. One other thing to consider is how close are the neighbors. You have an acre, but if you have houses right next to you, you may reconsider. Mine isn't a big barker, but Pyrenees do have the reputation for barking. It's their first line of warning, as opposed to just attacking something, so they do bark, even at night, if they detect something. As far as LGDs go, they are considered the least aggressive. That's a good thing if you have people about. They are extremely gentle with kids, love cats (at least "their" cats) and tolerate small dogs.

Back
Top Bottom