Guard Llamas - Considering A Couple (Your Thoughts?)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smoknz28, Aug 12, 2014.

1. smoknz28

smoknz28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Central Virginia, USA
    We have had ongoing issues with red foxes, coons and possums. These predators come and go and we have wiped them out as we can.

I currently have dog proof coon traps (x3) along with some catch and release traps. Of course my intent is not to release them...but to put them down as quickly as possible.

I recently heard about Llams being a good guard with our flock and our goats. We have never had an predators hurt our goats though, but we'd rather be proactive.

We do have a large chicken coop that we have our chickens in, but we have our turkeys in a 10x12 aluminum shed. We keep the doors open for the most part. The aluminum shed is fenced in with 4' high goat fence, but obviously the coons and possums can still make their way in...and they have.

I have been closing the doors on the aluminum shed to protect the turkeys, but I don't want to keep doing this.

This is where I thought about adding a unbred female Llama into the turkey's pen.

I just read about Alpacas as well, which may be another alternative.

Thoughts on this?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    i honestly dont see an issue with that, as long as your ready for all the spit...... :3

3. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    What type of fencing do you have? I have alpacas so maybe I can give you some advice.

4. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Quote: Doh! Get me some coffee, I completely missed that. Ok, how much pasture do you have fenced?

5. Fluffnpuff

Fluffnpuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    I've heard about using Alpacas as guards before. Actually lots of people around here that free range goats throw in an alpaca or two. The theory is that they will discourage coyote predation. I have no idea whether it actually works. I've never heard about them being used for opossums or raccoons.

6. smoknz28

Mar 7, 2012
    Central Virginia, USA
    No worries.... [​IMG]

As for the area that is fenced....I have three sectioned off areas for our goats and turkeys. I have two areas around 30' by around 45'. I also have a smaller area for the male goat which he's in an area of around 30' by 12'.

The two areas I'd like to put the Alpacas in are the 30'x45' areas.

For the smaller varmints...like opossums and coons, I'd imagine they'd do great for. If they work for larger predators....then they should work great on the smaller predators. The largest predators we have in our area are red foxes.

7. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Llamas will actively go after coyotes (as will donkeys), but I'd be really surprised to see them go after a raccoon or a possum. The hate for canines is because canines are a threat to their young. Possums aren't.

If you've already got properly set up goat fence, a simple hotwire across the top should take care of raccoons and possums.

8. smoknz28

Mar 7, 2012
    Central Virginia, USA
    Thank you.

The cheaper route would be to run a shock wire across the top of the fencing....hmmmm.... I'll consider this route first.

Thanks again.

9. David1998

David1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    I agree, I don't see them being effective against small predators. At some point between coyotes and possums, they will no longer be intersted. I'd think a well selcted dog would be effective.

10. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    just be careful with the dog....... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by