1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guard Rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by into_my_web, Sep 21, 2009.

1. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Whats a good protective rooster to have to scary away predator and protect my hens?

2. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

A mean one [​IMG]

3. into_my_web

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    funny, but i'm looking for a good breed that is usally used to protect from bigger predators

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Big Chicken Little- I'm surprised you didn't say llama!

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Game roo,Leghorn roo,Rock or any alert breed .There is no rooster who can conquer dog,racoon or houck,but at less can alarm the flock so they can hide.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have a secret for you:

A rooster is a chicken.

In most cases, the rooster will be fleeing right alongside the hens. The "protection" thing is where the male is the one watching over the flock. He's more observant and is generally the first one to notice danger. But a rooster, in most cases, is going to be more interested in running to stay alive than stick around and decide to look brave (and dead).

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Roosters usually stand no chance against coyotes, dogs, foxes, etc. Yes, he will alarm and get the girls to safety, though some just run with the women from danger. He can be your first line of defense, but only in the sense that he will stand up to battle a predator and lose his life in the process, though the girls may not be harmed. Mine are awesome protectors, however, I am realistic about what they can really do against something much larger than themselves.

8. into_my_web

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    well i had a rooster 3 or 4 years ago that use to fight my dog and put his face to the ground, but i dont know what breed it was.

9. into_my_web

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    i was hoping to find one so it can protect my chicken from minks

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I doubt you'll find one. Unless you're wanting the rooster to sacrifice himself to save your females?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by