1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guard Rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenshagg, Jan 2, 2010.

1. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Yesterday I had let my chickens out to free range for a few hours. I had to run to the grocery store real quick so I just went ahead and left the chickens out. When I came back home I saw a couple of teenage boys walking aimlessly up my street. Seeing that my chickens were all in the front yard I did not immediatly go into the house. Instead I hung out around the side of the house and in the garage watching what these boys were going to do since by this time they were standing in front of my house. I was waiting for them to come into my yard and mess with my chickens so that I could pounce on them but they stayed out in the street. I could see them stomping their feet and making noises and jestures towards the chickens. As I did a few things in the garage all of a sudden I heard the boys screaming. As I came around the front I saw my Polish rooster chasing both of them down the street and around the bend. The boys split up and one circled back only for the rooster to follow him. I calmly just walked towards them as the boy had quit running now but was in a face off with the rooster. When the boy saw me he started screaming for me to get the rooster away from him. I smiled and then whistled. The rooster slowly started walking toward me with his chest puffed out and very proud. The boy asked me why the rooster chased him I told him he was just protecting his girls. The rooster walked right back over to the girls and the boys left.

About ten minutes latter the boys returned this time there was a girl with them. I knew that they were up to no good and were going to try and get the rooster to chase them again. This time I did not give them the opportunity. I walked out to them and told them to go away because I know they are up to no good. They tried to assure me that they weren't but I knew better. I told them that if they start [messing] with the rooster then he would attack them again and when he did that he would fly up in their face and spurr their eyes out! And when that happens I was not going to call off the roo! They left hopefuly learning a little something!!

edited for non-family friendly language--using characters to get around the censors is not acceptable. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is a great story! Good rooster.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cute story! I love rooster stories. [​IMG]

4. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I just gotta get me a roo!! That's all there is to it! [​IMG] Good on the roo!!! Pictures of this brave and valiant fellow??? I hope you gave him special treats after that wonderful job of protecting his girls! [​IMG]

5. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Here are a couple photos of my Guard Rooster and his girls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    He is completely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    OMG that is too funny and your roo is way cute...and a very good boy for looking after his girls...

8. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Funny story. [​IMG] Brave Roo! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    What a handsome guard roo! I do so love Roos and they do such a fabulous job! Give him treats....cook for him today as he has earned a little warm oatmeal or bakes sweet potato.

10. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Loved that stroy [​IMG] And he is a beauty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by