Guard Rooster?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bigwig, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Whats the most protective breed(s) of rooster? My ameraucana roosters are wimps.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Virtually all high yield production breeds have had the aggressive, protective instincts bred out of them. The best guardians of the flock are game breeds. I've read that Iowa Blue roosters are also excellent flock protectors, but I haven't personally owned any of them to verify this.

3. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I have essentially no experience with Game Birds but what Michael said is consistent with what I have read about them. The roosters from my production birds are quite people friendly.

Out of production birds, I have heard that Rhode Island Reds can be aggressive at times, and my breeding using Red Stars (RIR x RIW cross) yielded some oddly aggressive hens but not necessarily roosters [​IMG]. My only rooster I kept from that hatch gave his life defending against a raccoon attack though, but he was timid otherwise and more friendly than his sisters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by