Guenia Bird info

Ok, to start with, guineas are flighty most of the time. The males we have had are rooster killers. They respond to 'attacks' by loosing all their feathers, I grabbed one hen last night and all the feathers that I was touching just fell out. They are noisy, the females make the buckwheat noise, the males make a chirping noise. They now come in many colors. They are seasonal layers laying in the spring or summer. They have dark meat and taste like a pheasant.That is basically all I can think of right now.

ok, what is the buckwheat noise?

PS. Hotwings, I did not see the guinea last night. Maybe it took off. I will be home more tomorrow, so I should see it if it comes around.

Denise

The buckwheat noise sounds like a squeaky tire or something, its like "pa kwee pa kwee" only the female makes it, the female can also make the male noise. I think there is a site out there that has the noise they make, maybe google guinea noises.

ok the females do buckwheat noise and usually have the gills pointing toward the back of head...males will dangle below theire chins.

i say usuallly because this year most of my females have dangly ones!
barnie.gif
they are flighty ,very noisy, and sometimes mean to the
other birds. but i love them anyway !
yippiechickie.gif

they are also great bug eaters and watchdogs.

The males are very noisy, much more than the females. if you have migraines or neighbors that don't like noisie these will be the 1 bird NOT to get. They are interesting birds but I have burnt out light bulbs that are brighter than them. I had one last year that put a mean rooster in his place once the mean rooster relized
His place then they all got a long. I have 8 alsoi think there are hens im not letting them run around ad right now of those 2are am tring to

Back
Top Bottom