1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guerrilla Incubator

Discussion in 'Quail' started by urbaner, Jan 11, 2010.

1. urbaner

urbaner Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2010
  2. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
  3. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to have a homemade incubator made out of a microwave, a couple of lightbulbs, a thermostat from a water heater, a dish of water and a fishtank heater. Worked pretty well. The key with any incubator is to know it and its quirks.
    My thoughts on the guerilla incubator are that the window is unnecessarily big and will lose a lot of heat through it, and that when I used lightbulbs as a source of heat I found it best to use two, wired in parallel, so if one blew the other kept going. That's the big drawback of using lightbulbs, they do tend to blow at the worst moment so having two is completely essential imho

I should mention it was a microwave *casing*, just a well-insulated box in essence. Only microwave eggs you will be eating [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  4. worldling

worldling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Quote:That design is more than adequate as far as an incubator goes. It's not the latest $250 digital controlled store bought model, but it can and will work.

5. urbaner

Jan 10, 2010
    Thanks for your feedback guys, it was very helpful. [​IMG]

6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I hatch out of a coleman cooler.... works great...

7. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    You can check out mt BYC page its a bator i built out of Dow blue core insulation

8. urbaner

Jan 10, 2010
    Thanks Kullas! Nice set up.

I think I'm going to try and rig something up in a styrofoam cooler simply because I have it available and I'm on a budget.

Your page made me wonder if anyone would be interested in seeing pics of the final product? Otherwise I won't bother. [​IMG]

9. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Quote:pics are good [​IMG] ya can even make a BYC page for it and let everyone see it can sumit it to byc and have them put it in the bater section

10. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    I would be interested in seeing pics of the final product please post them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by