Guess at sex of Cochin Chick? - 5 weeks old

I agree. I think cockerel. Too much comb and wattle for it to be a pullet at that age, and way too red.

Sorry .....
hide.gif

- Krista

this is my second year keeping chickens. My first time having Cochins. My chicks are 14 weeks old now and I'm very afraid I got a bunch of cockerels on my hands. I ordered straight run but it sure looks like I'd best not make any bets any time soon. I have two Blue Splash, one of which I'm certain is a cockerel, the other one, I'm still hopeful. I also have three Blacks. When they were a few weeks old, there were definitely differences in their leg and foot sizes. But they all developed comb and wattles quite young.

This Splash I'm sure is a cockerel.His name is Porter.

This Blue Splash hoping MIGHT be a pullet. I'm HOPING her name might be Dolly. The behavior seems more pullet, and although she has comb and wattle development greater than my Partridge Cochins of the same age, it is much lighter in color than the one I think is a cockerel.
What do y'all think?
And I have three Blacks. I don't have pictures of them all but here's one of them.

And I'm pretty sure this is a different one.

I'm afraid all 5 of them are cockerels, which is rough because this was a straight run of Feather Footed Fancies. I got a pair of Dark Brahmas and a pair of Light Brahmas. I'm pretty sure the one Buff Brahma I got is a cockerel. I got a White Langshan that seems like a hen, but not certain yet. I got two pair of Partridge Cochins. So that's 5 cockerels already, plus these potential 3-5? More out of 15 chicks, that seems I got a a bit more than my share. I'm really hoping the Blue Splash and one of the Blacks turns out to be a pullet, which would make it more of a 50/50 kind of thing. Otherwise I only got 5 pullets out of 15 chicks! Bummer! To top it off, they sent me a free chick, which is a lovely Dominique, which is, of course, a cockerel! Good thing I ordered my Easter Eggers as pullets!
I LOVE roosters! Don't get me wrong. But I don't have anywhere near enough hens to keep that many boys happy! I keep chickens for the eggs, and don't really have much interest in raising them for meat.
So, please tell me what you think of these pics. Any pullets in there, do you think?
I'll try to get better pics of all three Blacks to compare them.
Thank for any insight you might have!

Back
Top Bottom