1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GUESS HOW I MADE MY INCUBATOR....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jeneralee, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jeneralee

jeneralee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    I TOOK A 20 QT TUPPERWARE CONTAINER, AND..BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE A LID, I TURNED ANOTHER ONE UPSIDE DOWN ON TOP...THEN I PUT THE WHOLE THING ON A HEATING PAD SET ON MEDIUM. NEXT, I CUT A HOLE IN THE TOP OF THE (SO-CALLED) LID AND PUT A HEAT LAMP ON IT. ON THE INSIDE I PUT A LAYER OF SMALL ROCKS TO DISTRIBUTE THE HEATING PAD HEAT, AND IT ALLOWED ME TO ADD A LITTLE WATER FOR HUMIDITY. ON THE ROCKS I ADDED DRIED GRASS...JUST LIKE A REAL NEST. ANYWAY, WITH ANY LUCK I'LL BE PUTTING UP MY HATCHING PICS WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

HEY U GUYZ..HOW CAN I POST A PIC?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    That sounds interesting! Can't wait to see if it worked! [​IMG]

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I LOVE your idea, please keep us posted. I look at the ones all of you guys build and I am so in awe and confused at the same time . . .this might be just the ticket for ole' dum-dum me. [​IMG]

4. jeneralee

Apr 11, 2009
    ME TOOOOOO! I HAVE 5 MORE DAYS FOR ONE BATCH AND ANOTHER BATCH DUE MAY 1. ALL'S WELL SO FAR.

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Pictures, please! How do you keep the heat lamp from melting the Tupperware?

6. jeneralee

Apr 11, 2009
    SINCE I HAVE THE HEAT COMING FROM BOTH DIRECTIONS...I CAN USE A LOW WATT IN THE HEAT LAMP..BUT..I THOUGHT THE SAME THING SO I PUT A PIECE OF FOIL ON THE TOP AND PUNCHED IT OUT AROUND THE LAMP SO THE EDGES ARE RESTING ON FOIL...NOW, IF IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING A BIT TOO WARM..DUE TO FLUCTUATIONS IN ROOM TEMP IN THE AFTERNOONS ESP. I USE A BIRD CAGE DOOR AND RAISE THE LAMP A BIT OFF THE TUPERWARE...I HAVE PICS, BUT I'M NOT SURE HOW TO POST EM. I'M A WEBTARD..LOL

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hey!

Thats a reptile incubator!

Good luck turning your eggs.

8. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

This sounds interesting! To post pics click on uploads at the top of the page. Once the upload box comes up hit browse, so you can find your picture, double click on it to load to the upload box, then hit submit. Once the picture shows copy paste the link given into you message box. It's a lot easier than it sounds. I'm looking forward to bator pics!!

Sonja

9. jeneralee

Apr 11, 2009
    I WOULDN'T KNOW, BUT I DO KNOW IT WORKED BEFORE...ITS BASICALLY FREE AND I HAVE DUCKS TO SHOW FOR IT. I'M JUST A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THESE HATCHING BECAUSE THEY CAME THROUGH THE MAIL AND THE CAYUGA/CALL EGGS SEEM TO HAVE SOME AIR CELL ISSUES..BUT WE'LL SEE..THEY'RE ALL STILL ACTIVE.

10. jeneralee

Apr 11, 2009
    THANX SOO MUCH FOR THE PIC POSTING INFO......IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by