GUESS I HAD MY TERMINOLOGY WRONG! MY FIRST TIME SETTING EGGS TO INCUBATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SanAntoneChicken, Feb 22, 2012.

1. SanAntoneChicken

SanAntoneChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Well I set my eggs monday night. I am using a still air little giant incubator with egg turner. My temp has been pretty steady between 100.3 and 100.8, is that fine? I have been a little confused about temp cause lots things I read say to incubate at 99.5, but then i read in other places to only use that temp if you have a forced air unit use 101 - 102 for still air. I am right between hope this doesn't cause any problems.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. SanAntoneChicken

May 18, 2011
    Well my temp is still pretty steady between 100 and 101.6, but it has dipped down to the 99's a couple times that I have noticed. Is my temp ok?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Still air needs to be higher than you have it, should be 101.5-102 at the top of the eggs. Forced air 99-100. Watch for temperature spikes. Still air bators are prone to that and need lots of babysitting.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. SanAntoneChicken

May 18, 2011
    Will my eggs still be viable since they have been at the lower temp all week?

5. SanAntoneChicken

May 18, 2011
    Well it's over for sure now. I went to check in on my incubator and the temp had spiked to 106.5. I need to get a better incubator! Any suggestions?

6. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    install a computer fan and the temps will be steady. I have a Little Giant and installed a fan have had 2 great hatches temps have been steady. Also make sure you keep it in a place where temps don't fluctuate. I have mine in the basement where the temp is very steady.
    Good Luck
    Ayda

7. SanAntoneChicken

May 18, 2011
    I appreciate the advice, I will get a computer fan tomorrow and start collecting eggs for another hatch. By the way, I cracked all the eggs and everyone of the had an embryo with two eyes. I guess the temp had been close enough until the spike.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by