guess I will turn off the lights

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cornychick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    If I don't use lights to extend daylight over winter months, what month can I expect for nature to take it's course and egg production pick up?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I'm not sure. Where do you live, what breeds do you raise? That would be helpful.

3. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    We live in NW Arkansas & have an assortment (1 RIR, 1 BR, 2 Brahma, 1 Leghorn). They are 8 months old and we have been getting 2-4 eggs daily for the past month. I have added light to their coop for a couple weeks now to add 3 more hours. But it seems that the majority recommends letting them take a break for the winter.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I say use lights! I have lights on my birds and have all year. They took a three month break anyway. I am slowly starting to get eggs again now, so my experience is: they will molt and take a break with or without lights.

5. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    with southern mild winters, let'em take a break... they are young and the breeds you have are laying machines and will likely continue to lay---at a reduced rate-- for you, no matter what the weather. Save $ on the elect. bill and turn that thing off.... ;-) just my opinion! Buy them some scrumptious mealworms from sillybirds with your saved $ and treat them for the hard work they do for you! ;-)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I don't supplement light in the winter. Last year, 3 of my hens laid through the winter anyway. (At a reduced rate.) The others started laying again in January, and were back up to good production by mid-February.

7. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

My very hybridized girls started laying in the winter. Got eggs through the winter with them. Same with the next batch from the same place. They never moulted or went broody because they were just bred to lay eggs and then burn out. It just seemed so unnatural.
    I still have 3 Hyline types. They've stopped laying now but are welcome to hang out here with my younger girls as long as they want.
    Currently I'm getting 1 egg a day from 8 chickens. One mutt, my Buff Orp and one of my Australorps are in serious moult right now.
    Chickens are just a hobby for me so I won't be adding any light. I don't need the eggs because I have runner ducks. My customers at the library aren't too pleased of course, but my bukbuks are living as normal a life as they can.
    P.S. This wasn't meant to be a criticism of other people's methods. Far from it!

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Question-how much will it prolong their lives if I chose not to use lights?Could someone tell me more about the pros and cons of lights vs. no lights? I want to do the right thing, but I also want eggs!

9. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I agree that natural may be better, but as I live in Alaska and in the Dead of winter there is no daylight. I am paying for electric lights for them to eat & have heat..... I might as well get Eggs.

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by