Guess our gender

chicnman

Hatching
Oct 18, 2017
We have 3 silkies and 1 polish chicken. Guess they are about 6-7 weeks old.
Anyone have any ideas on what we have?
Thank you.
Chandler.jpg
Parsley.jpg
Pecky Becky.jpg
Tommy.jpg

The silkies are really way too young to tell... usually you will be able to by six months of age. With silkies you pretty much have to wait to see if one crows or lays an egg. You can look for behavioral traits, but silkies can be weird with that- some roosters are alpha, some beta. My first silkie hen laid her egg at about 4 1/2 months probably... and then my other silkie hen who we were SURE was a rooster laid an egg at about 6 months. My rooster started crowing probably at about 3 1/2 months. You might not be able to tell for a while! The polish I am not sure about, I've never had one so I don't know. It looks a LOT like our cream legbar hen, but with a bigger crest though. I'm leaning towards pullet.

Thanks for the response. The polish seems to be the leader of the rest. The others follow it everywhere. The polish will also go after our dogs or cats if they are close. From the pictures I have seen on here after I posted this it seems like the Polish is a hen.

Thanks for the response. The polish seems to be the leader of the rest. The others follow it everywhere. The polish will also go after our dogs or cats if they are close. From the pictures I have seen on here after I posted this it seems like the Polish is a hen.

I agree with you on the polish. They are all super cute! In a couple of months you could post pictures of them again if they haven't crowed or laid eggs yet... but even then it might be hard to tell. Silkies are tricky! But they are adorable.

The Polish looks like a hen - polish are difficult to sex early like Silkies. As long as the polish pullet has a well manicured full crest. If she starts developing, wild spikes in her crest, she is an imposter - a cockerel

Silkies are a little harder to sex, But I can sex mine early. I will tell ou war I think, but you might should wait until they are older to be sure. My guess is,
1. Silkie cockerel
2. Silkie pullet
3. Silkie pullet
4. Polish pullet

Thanks for the response Crazy 4 chickens.
What difference do you see in the 1st silkie compared to the others that make you think its a male?
I am happy to post more pics if that helps.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom