Guess That Turkey - Bourbon Reds - sex

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kimb, Aug 14, 2013.

1. kimb

kimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have 5 bourbon red poults hatched on 6/6 ... I know they're still probably too young but I thought maybe some experts might know what I might have.

this is the smallest but i bribed them with food so I could take some pictures this little one "clucked" up a storm at me and paraded all around while the other 4 happily ate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    I am no expert, but I will give you my opinion, based on what I believe I see in your beautiful pictures!
    1. All colored feathered turkey hens will have lighter edging on the breast features and toms will have darker edging.
    2. Males will weigh more than females hatched at the same time and this will become more apparent as they grow older.
    3. Toms will have thicker legs than hens.
    4. Both can have beards, but toms will grow longer.
    5. Toms have longer thicker snoods as they reach maturity.
    6. Toms Chronicles will be bigger than hens and the heads and necks will be a darker red.
    7. Toms will be bald, while hens will develop a thin line of feathers up the back of their heads.
    8. If you can hold the bird on your lap, laying on it's back, at any age, if it holds it's feet up close to it's back, it is probably a hen, because it is a defensive position for a tom or a rooster, too,(for that , matter) to extend one or both legs. This, I find works from day old chicks or poults, with 94 degree accuracy.
    9. Both will display when young, but by the age of sexual maturity, only toms gobble.
    with this said, I am just guessing 3 toms and 2 hens! Please let us know what they are when you know for sure? [​IMG]

3. kimb

kimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I'll work on some "straight on pictures" to get the coloring of their breast feathers. They all have black lines on their wing feathers.

While I was taking the pictures I was leaning towards 3 toms and 2 hens as well. The little "female" strutting and clucking at me threw me of though. Although my hens and ducks will fluff big when they're broody and/or hatched some young so didn't know if it was an alert dance, a show off dance... or what

my guess is they're growing like weeds now (so different from a week ago already) that I should know for-sure, really soon... I hope ! (I'm so terribly impatient). :)

Thank you !!

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    My guess is 4 Toms 1 hen.
    The hen being in the front on the bottom 3 pics.
    Picture 4 looks like 4 Toms

The pics on top of the one "displaying" look more like a defensive pose rather than a strut. Doesn't necessarily indicate male or female.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    In the last picture, it looks like the three in the back ground are all toms, and the closest one a hen. But I'm a long way from being an expert. Just trying to learn as much as I can.
    I had never seen a live turkey up close until June 17th this year, Mine was hatched on the 16th, so yours are a few days older. I was really hoping for BR's as I think they are the best looking of all the breads, however to save about $5 per turkey I elected to get the hatcheries choice. Maybe next time!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  6. tniron

tniron Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    What
    I am no expert, but I will give you my opinion, based on what I believe I see in your beautiful pictures!
    1. All colored feathered turkey hens will have lighter edging on the breast features and toms will have darker edging.
    2. Males will weigh more than females hatched at the same time and this will become more apparent as they grow older.
    3. Toms will have thicker legs than hens.
    4. Both can have beards, but toms will grow longer.
    5. Toms have longer thicker snoods as they reach maturity.
    6. Toms Chronicles will be bigger than hens and the heads and necks will be a darker red.
    7. Toms will be bald, while hens will develop a thin line of feathers up the back of their heads.
    8. If you can hold the bird on your lap, laying on it's back, at any age, if it holds it's feet up close to it's back, it is probably a hen, because it is a defensive position for a tom or a rooster, too,(for that , matter) to extend one or both legs. This, I find works from day old chicks or poults, with 94 degree accuracy.
    9. Both will display when young, but by the age of sexual maturity, only toms gobble.
    with this said, I am just guessing 3 toms and 2 hens! Please let us know what they are when you know for sure? [​IMG] [/quote What are other characteristics to look for?

7. Celie

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    If you are into hatching, PM me and I will tell you where you can get BR hatching eggs as early as December. You don't say where you live, but if that is too soon, there are several reputable breeders on this site with BR. I myself will be hatching some next year too, as I only have White Hollands and Midget Whites!

8. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    Thank you very much! I just ordered 14 BR turkey eggs over the weekend from BYC member Arielle. I hope to have them in the next couple weeks.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

10. Celie

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Just glad I could help, after all the great help I got from all the good folk at BYC ![​IMG] It's nice to be able to give a little something back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by