Guess the breed (mix) and gender!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by woostephclan, Jan 2, 2013.

1. woostephclan

woostephclan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    I have three beautiful 14 week olds that we have raised from 2 days old. We are quite attached to them, and I don't think we'd get rid of any even if there is a roo in there. They all get along very well (so far!) So what do you think?[​IMG]
    Here's Cutie. She looks Cornish to me, but she has feathered feet. Bright red pea comb, and her tail feathers have black, green and red tints. She doesn't make much noise at all.

[​IMG]
    This is Bouncy. She's my only super-obvious hen. She has a little bit of a beard (EE?), a pale comb and pale beak. She's white with a few black spots here and there. You can also see a good back view of Cutie's tail end on the right.

[​IMG]
    The red and cream one in front is Emerald. She has arching tail feathers like Cutie, and a large, pink single comb. She also has a little beard. Maybe a red star-EE cross?It's hard to tell here, because it was pretty cold when I took the pics, but she has a very long neck too. Here's my big mystery with her- she makes the weirdest noise I have ever heard in the morning. It started out sounding like a loud laugh (HA-HA). Now it has 4-5 notes, but still doesn't sound anything like a crow. It sounds like a super-obnoxious laugh. I have heard that dominant females can have a weird crow sometimes, and she is definitely the leader of our little trio, so perhaps that's it? Or do you think she's a roo? So far I can't see any spurs on any of them, and while Emerald is the most aggressive of them, they all still let us pick them up and pet them whenever we want. So what does everyone think?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

1. Cockerel, something like a production red crossed with feather footed breed
    2. Pullet, EE
    3. Cockerel, EE

Hm two roos [​IMG]

3. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    X2 and that funny 'almost crow' is your little guy tying out his voice and learning to crow :) it takes them several months for them to crow correctly. I have two Silkie cockerels doing the same thing now.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. woostephclan

Oct 15, 2012
    2 roosters? We've never had roosters before. Will 2 get along with only one hen in there?

5. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    If they were raised together, the two roosters shouldn't fight. They might have a scuffle or two to see who's dominate, but other than that they should get along. The poor hen might get overmated though. You might want to get a few more hens so that the two roosters don't focus their attention all on her.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Bouncy is a pullet, the other two are 100% roosters.

x2

7. woostephclan

Oct 15, 2012
    Well, looks like we need a few hens then. Has anyone had luck ordering pullets online that are docile? Ours have been hand fed and are very tame. I don't want to throw any grouches into the mix.;-)

8. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I would look for some local, check craigslist or look for a local group on facebook

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by