Guess the breeds? I'm going bonkers!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by unicornmomma, Oct 10, 2016.

1. unicornmomma

unicornmomma Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Utah
    We have one week olds that we've got some guesses about their breeds, but not sure - they were "rare mix" and one is a "rare marans", but I don't know who is what![​IMG]
    I am thinking either barnevelder, silver penciled rock, or maaaybe an easter egger?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two pics of the same chick. She has fluffs on her legs. I was thinking she might be our marans, but she doesn't look exactly like any of the marans chicks I find pictures of.

[​IMG]
    Clean legged, little grey smudges on the top of her head.

[​IMG]
    Maybe a buckeye or rhodie? Maturing slower than the others.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She just looks like a generic yellow chick to me. So I figure I'll just have to wait and see with this one!

Thanks for any help or advice!

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Shots in the dark, but I think...

1. Barnevelder if it has a single comb...
    2. Partridge Brahma if it has a pea comb...
    3. Not sure...
    4. Looks like a Red Sex Link really. If it has a pea comb it could be a Buckeye...
    5. White Leghorn...

3. unicornmomma

Oct 5, 2016
    Utah
    You're definitely right on the barnevelder! :) I still don't know on the other ones. The yellow chicks especially have me baffled. They Gros so fast!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. unicornmomma

Oct 5, 2016
    Utah
    Update! My chicks have grown, so I thought I would show you guys. :) I have a buff brahma, golden cuckoo marans, delaware, barnevelder, buckeye, and the little yellow chick is still a mystery so far.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I was gonna say you don't have a barnevelder. The white one could be a deleware.

7. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    The yellow one looks like a buff brahma if she has a pea comb.

8. unicornmomma

Oct 5, 2016
    Utah
    Lol so now that I have a pretty good idea, I get predictions! ;) I kid, I do appreciate the help.
    I had sent pictures of the chicks in before they got much feathering and asked for help IDing them, and those are the breeds I was told-- I'm fine with her being an easter egger though, I'd prefer a blue layer! :) The red chick could only be a rhodie or a buckeye-- so your vote's for rhodie? Thanks for the comments guys! :)
    The unknown breed I did not post again, she went to a different chick enthusiast. She's definitely not a buff brahma though-- clean legs, very pale blueish-wheaten colored feathers coming in, but she does have a peacomb. I'll text her new mamma and ask for an updated photo to share here. The white one I just posted an updated photo is most likely a delaware, as mentioned-- she's spot on the description and photos.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Production Red. Most hatchery Rhode Island Reds are actually Production Reds. They are too light red and have a completely different body shape, they don't look anything like a real Rhode Island Red.
    And there are no guarantees for blue eggs from the Easter Egger. She could end up laying brown, green, or cream instead.

10. unicornmomma

Oct 5, 2016
    Utah
    Yes, you're right. I spoke too quickly, I simply meant I love having variety and I already have a couple that will be laying very dark eggs. We had an EE at my old job that laid quite a wide variety of blues and greens, and another that even laid "pink" eggs. :) They're fun. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by