Guess the Chicken Breed??? And determining sex....

dutchbunny83

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
I'm sure this is a barnyard mix of multiple breeds, dare to venture a guess on this little one? (All my others are pure bred, my son won this at a flock swap Easter weekend from a local farmer with a bin full of chicks....)

Also, tips on determining gender on pea comb chicks???

My silkie rooster has gone broody with this chick since the day we brought it home. He even stopped sleeping on the roost and now sleeps in the nest box with this chick under his wing. And I'm sure the silkie is a rooster. This chick follows him everywhere, even up to the top of the roost in the morning and stands next to my silkie while he crows, which is making me concerned the chick is actually a roo as well.....

Here's his specs:

- Frizzle feathers all black, with some white around the front only
- Feathered legs, but not feathered feet
- Standard 4 toes
- Black legs & feet
- Black wide pea comb (*was more yellow as baby, started turning black*)
- Almost all black beak and as of now black lobes (though still a lot of feathers there)
- I believe skin is black, but can't catch him. I thought that was only silkies, but I don't think this one is a silkie, especially because the head feathers are totally flat. Possibly parents mutts too....

I'm thinking one of the parents was a frizzle cochin bantam, but I don't know. And I have no clue on the other parent!

To give a size reference, he's next to a 6 month old silkie roo (who he thinks is his mom) and in the photo the chick is 5 weeks old.

Even more than the breed, I REALLY want to know if it's going to be a boy...

GIVE ME YOUR BEST GUESS!

Last edited:

Top Bottom