Guess the Chicken from the egg & Advice on an ex broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Garona, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Garona

Garona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2014
    So, since my last post here we've had a few addition to our flock now. Currently we have Light Sussex, Cuckoo Marans, Blue Lace Wynadotte and Rhode Island Red hens.

One light sussex and the cuckoo marans are 2 years old.
    The rhode island is 26 weeks
    the rest are a mixture of younger birds.

Today we found our very first chick egg!

[​IMG]
    Its roughly 5cm and its a darker brown than my phone camera is showing. Because of this and her age, we were guessing Rhode Island red but any second opinions welcome.

With regards to the ex broody it is our cuckoo marans. She successfully brooded and reared and has been not bothered about them for a long time now. She lost a lot of weight during the process so I got some vitamin supplement from a local chicken farm. She seems happier and healthier now but still isnt laying again. On a side note, the guarenteed layer light sussex has slowed down considerably though now and has become irregular. Upon advice from the farm owners we are feeding them hot oats to keep their guts warm over the colder months.

Have we just completely missed the boat for the cuckoo marans and she will lay again next year after winter? She lays brown eggs so if the above one wasn't so small I would have thought it was her laying again :<

2. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    That's what RIR eggs look like pretty much, but I can't rule out the other breeds because they might lay the same color (for all ai know). My Barred Rock and RIR eggs were indistinguishable for example. I hear the first eggs can be small until they get going.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You need to remember that this is the time of year when our girls are possibly molting, add to that the fact that we are in winter, colder days, much shorter days, etc. This all leads to lower egg production, and in some no egg production for a time. Some people add artificial light to get more eggs...me personally? I give my Black Australorp gals a deserved break for the winter. If I get eggs great! If I don't I still love them and understand. Besides, this way they'll be raring to go come spring!

4. Garona

Garona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2014
    Yeah I don't think I like the idea of artificial light, so, no need to be worried about the ex broody then? Just wait until next year?

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I wouldn't worry about the ex-broody, and yes, give them a rest (in my opinion). Do remember, however, that your two older birds are now 2 years old and next year they'll be 3 .. they are coming up on being senior citizens! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by