Guess the Color!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stacykins, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Well, I am definitely not sure what this lil rumpless, tufted (well tufts were pecked off by other chicks, but they exist!) araucana chick is. At first I thought splash, but then cuckoo was mentioned. What IS this bird?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, less of a mystery, what would this chick color be considered?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw, they both have oatmeal beaks, since I took these as they were eating!

2. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    I dont think your second chick has a color name, since it looks to be an EE and they tend to just be a crayola box of colors lol, they are always beautiful though, go figure, I am not color standards expert but I think cuckoo is a moderately decent observation

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Definitely not an EE since Lanae of Cash's Blue Eggs doesn't sell EEs, but purebred tufted, rumpless araucana hatching eggs. BOTH chicks are tufted and rumpless. I had another breeder's eggs in the 'bator, but I know for sure these two come from her stock.

4. OkieKristi

OkieKristi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I have no experience with Araucanas, but I went to the website you referenced, and I may need some now. I am in love with her Splash rooster. He is one of the prettiest chickens I have seen.[​IMG]

After looking at the colors that she has, I would say that your first chick could be cuckoo/barred, because they have barred hens in with their white roo, but it also looks like a couple of their splash hens. You may have to wait until it is a little older to know for sure.

I understand the other poster's comment re: the second chick being an EE. I have an EE hen with the exact same coloring, and I think it is very common EE color. No idea what the actual color is though. My guess is golden duckwing??[​IMG]

5. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Could the second chick be a gold spangled? My gold brabanters are feathering in like that, and they're "supposed" to be spangled.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    if the first one is barred, and the father was not then its a boy...
    Post pictures of the second one in a couple weeks you'll get a better idea on her coloring,

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by