Guess the gender--6 wk chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ironwood, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Ironwood

Ironwood New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    I know it's difficult to sex chicks this young, but I hope someone familiar with leghorn crosses could at least give me a guess on the one chick. It's much larger than the other three that hatched at the same time, has a tail already, and the comb keeps growing and growing. These could be typical leghorn traits from its mom, or it could be a roo...

I will take more pictures as suggested in the stickied thread when they're a little older, unless someone thinks it'd be helpful right now. I know 3-4 months is typically when it becomes obvious. This is my first time hatching and raising chicks, so any tips and tricks as far as sexing goes is quite welcome! They are all from a Jersey giant rooster, with at least one leghorn mom and the other two RIR/New Hampshire or whatever those red pullets from Tractor supply are, or possibly white rock. Both of them lay brown eggs so who knows. :)

Without further ado, here's a little video of them and their older barred rock buddy eating and generally being chickens:

What's with the black one's stance? I saw in another thread someone suggested a chick might be a rooster because of its stance, so I really hope that isn't the case here! We call him Penguin and he's my favorite so far. :D

Thanks for looking,
    Heather

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Could you post pics?

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the white one with the big pink comb is a rooster

4. Ironwood

Ironwood New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    I'll post pictures in a minute--need to format them and pull some more from my phone.

Ramirez, is there any reason you think that one's a rooster besides the comb? I also think it's a rooster because of the size, but my leghorns have ridiculously oversized combs.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    but being only 6 weeks old and a leghorn cross would mean the comb wouldn't be that big and colored that pink for a pullet, just my thought

6. Ironwood

Ironwood New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Ok, thanks for your opinion. That does make sense. Looking at older pictures, his comb HAS gotten pinker since it started growing. I was expecting a much bigger change, but it has only been a couple weeks after all. Another detail that might indicate he's a he: he was very active as a hatchling, pecking all the other eggs and constantly knocking over penguin.

Turns out I only have four decent pics of them... I'll have to take some tomorrow. They're all a week or two old, so keep in mind they're younger than in the video I posted.

First is the (tentative) rooster:
    [​IMG]

Group shot where you can see their faces somewhat clearly. Roo's on the left. The combs on the other two aren't much bigger now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Penguin!
    [​IMG]

7. Ironwood

Ironwood New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Pics from yesterday.

#1, Probable rooster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Opinions on 2 and 3?

8. Ironwood

Ironwood New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Anyone? 2&3 pullets or too early to tell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by