Guess the Gender: Bantam Black Cochin

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Queen of the Lilliputians, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Just wondering if you folks could make a guess on the gender of my little Lucky. Sorry for the pic quality, and ignore the date stamp!

S/he is 4.5wks old, and is a bantam black cochin. Pic has exaggerated the redness of her comb, it's more orangey, but turns redder against her head. Waddles are small, but red.

Doesn't act aggressive, and isn't trying to 'wrassle' with my other chick. No chest bumping.

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    Meghan

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    male

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Little man.

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Darn. That's what I thought, too. Ah, well.

Lucky is the only egg I've ever hatched.. and stays no matter WHAT gender. Just sort of hoped he was a girl so I could just have ONE coop of chickens instead of two.. LOL!

Thanks guys.

Meghan

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Boy! Sorry, but look on the bright side two coops means more birds for you. [​IMG]

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    On an episode of How it's made the other night, they had a clip on sexing chicks in a hatchery. They held up their little day old wings and if the two rows of feathers were exactly the same length, they were roosters, if one row was shorter than the other, of course they were hens. They did it in a matter of about ten seconds and chunked those little chicks onto a conveyor belt to be shipped off somewhere for either egg production or chicken stew (guessing about the stew..... could have been for chicken salad! lol!). I didn't know about this when mine were biddies but it might have allowed me to trade my rooster for a hen right at the beginning instead of having to later rehome him. Course this may be harder to do than it looked, the feather chcieking thing, not sure, give it a try. There are other ways listed on the internet to tell the sex of a chicken also, some extremely nasty technique about looking inside the vent for a male part and another one about the shape of the wing feathers and still another one about the rooster spurs and I think even a dna test, I guess the surest bet is time and that telltale crow that will either come or not!! Darlene

7. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Feather sexing is a good way, but you have to catch them shortly after the feathers come in.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Looks like a boy to me too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by