Guess the gender of my mixed/cross bantam chicks? (3.5 weeks old)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kirkyanne, Mar 31, 2017.

1. kirkyanne

kirkyanne New Egg

Mar 5, 2017
    Hello just wondering if anyone can take a guess of what gender my chicks are? They are currently 3.5 weeks. They are in the process of getting their feathers at this stage. Although the frizzle seems more advanced in the feather department ;)

I am certainly not experienced with this but after looking at many comparison photos, the problem I have is that they are all different breeds and possible also cross breed. So I am unable to compare them to each other. I bought the eggs for my broody hen from a breeder but was told they would be mixed bantams.

The grey chick I am unsure of the breed or mix to be honest. There is a silky cross (yellow chick) it's got 5 toes but it has light coloured legs. The smooth feathered black and white chick I think is a pekin cross breed (similar to cochin) and the other black chick is clearly a frizzle ( possibly cross pekin).. They all have flat bumpy type combs (similar to a silkie chick but pink/yellow colour), except for the the black and white smooth feathered pekin which is developing a spiky comb but it's comb seems to be more yellow than the others.

It's hard to tell as I have nothing to compare to. I feel the grey chick is most likely a cockerel and it has thicker legs, stands more upright and its comb is pinker. I've always thought that from the start though. The frizzle's comb and wattle is coming through and it's pinker than the others but it's still flat and bumpy. I am interested to see what others think though. It's probably hard with cross breeds, plus they are still pretty young :)

Thankyou! Interested to see what everyone thinks :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Left to right, top to bottom. Cockerel, cockerel, possibly pullet but too young to be sure, cockerel. Lotta early bloomers there.

3. kirkyanne

kirkyanne New Egg

Mar 5, 2017
    Thanks that's what I thought too but wasn't sure about the silkie cross as I know that purebred can be hard to sex early on.. Time will tell I guess ;)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Kinda farm girl

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think I see one pullet (bottom left).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by