Guess the gender (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Badhbh, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I have a Porcelain D'Uccle and a couple of buffs that i'm wondering about. I was 99% sure that the buffs were girls, but my roommate swears she heard one trying to crow today. The D'Uccle has a much larger comb than his compatriot, and he's got something really weird happening with the feathers on his back. It's like they haven't come in yet. He's not getting picked though. Pictures below... they are all two months old. Yes, my barn is a mess. [​IMG] There are ducks living in there temporarily, so there's poo EVERYWHERE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buffs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Your d'uccle is a boy. The feathers on his back are saddle feathers. It is somewhat normal for that color to have poor feathers, they are self blue with mottling, self blues often have feather problems. If you look on the buffs backs and find pointed shiney feathers like he has, they are boys.

3. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks! I will go inspect the buffs. I was looking for spur-sign earlier and found nothing. I have no idea if it's too early for that.
    Yeah, the D'Uccles are kind of ratty looking [​IMG] I'm hoping they sleek up a little as they get bigger [​IMG]

4. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    The mystery of the buffs is solved.
    They were crowing this morning. [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The 1st chicken is def. a Rooster. The other is a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by