Guess The Sex: Black Copper Marans!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sunfeathers, May 8, 2017.

1. Sunfeathers

Sunfeathers New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Hello everyone! I am brand new to chickens, and decided early on I wanted to keep Black Copper Marans (for the pretty, delicious-looking eggs). Unable to find any local breeders, I went ahead and ordered 2 sets of eggs from Bluewater Ranch, and lo, I am now the proud owner of 13 adorable chicks! I am aiming for a flock of at least 6 hens, and perhaps 1 rooster if I can have him decrowed (I live in the city). In my greed for eggs, I would probably keep 2 more hens if I got them, and rehome the extra roos. I'm so excited to be raising my very first flock!

A Chicken Person(tm) feather sexed the first batch of chicks, and, using her sage advice and demonstration, I attempted to feather sex the second set. I am posting photos so that (hopefully) I can document their development and see whether we were correct in our assessments. I am sure some of these names are going to change in the future. I hope these photos can help some other chicken newbie sex their chicks sometime in the future, I know I will be referring to other series just like this one as I continue to try to Guess The Sex! All experienced, inexperienced, and off-the-wall guesses are appreciated, right now the first set of chicks is about 1.5 weeks and the second set is only a few days old, so it's all in good fun at this point.

[​IMG]
    This is Faith! She's the calmest chick so far. She was feather sexed by the Chicken Person as female.

[​IMG]
    This is Ganon. Ironically (for those of you who've guessed my naming scheme), Ganon has been calmer than Link. He was feather sexed by the Chicken Person as male.

[​IMG]
    This is Jade; the second largest chick and a bit feisty. She was feather sexed by the Chicken Person as female.

[​IMG]
    This is Lara, by far the feistiest chick. She was feather sexed by the Chicken Person as female.

[​IMG]
    This is Link, he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder compared to Ganon. He was feather sexed by the Chicken Person as male.

[​IMG]
    This is Peach, the runt. She had a run-in with what I suspect was coccidiosis, but after Corid and lots of forced feeding of mush when she was skin and bones, she seems to have made a full recovery. She was feather sexed by the Chicken Person as female.

[​IMG]
    This is Zelda, so far the biggest, baddest chickie in the brooder. She was feather sexed by the Chicken Person as female.

[​IMG]
    Now on to the baby chickies, only a few days old! This is Cammy. She was "feather sexed" as female by myself, the newbie.

[​IMG]
    This is Celes, "feather sexed" by me as female.

[​IMG]
    This is Daisy, "feather sexed" by me as female.

[​IMG]
    This is Malon, "feather sexed" by me as male. But I still gave him a girl's name because a girl can dream, right? I haven't settled on a proper boy name for him yet.

[​IMG]
    This is Quistis, also "feather sexed" by me as male. I don't think he minds the feminine name at all, but if he really is a he I think I'll call him Squall.

[​IMG]
    Lastly, this is Tetra, "feather sexed" by me as female!

So there you have it. If we were both correct, I am holding on to 9 pullets and only 4 roos, which is statistically pretty unlikely but hey, perhaps the Chicken Gods have smiled on me. I am just along for the ride right now! Lastly, a bonus picture--since none of the chicks particularly liked their couple moments in the chickie photo booth I improvised, everyone got spoiled afterwards with most of an egg. They FLIPPED OUT and spent a lot more time chasing one another around the brooder whenever anyone got a piece of egg, instead of just getting their own piece out of the "trough". Chickens are ridiculous. I think they're great already.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Great, let us know how the feather sexing went. I have always been told you could not feather sex them, but you will stand a 50/50 chance of being right---lol. I use to have a couple of pens of them and have hatched and sold them as chicks. Good Luck

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  3. Sunfeathers

Sunfeathers New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    Las Vegas
    I will update! I'm just crossing my fingers for 6 hens, so I think my chances are pretty good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by