Guess the sex! Light and Silver sussex chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vymichelle, Jul 26, 2013.

1. vymichelle

vymichelle Hatching

Oct 2, 2011
    Hi!
    I have 6 chicks which hatched 26th june, so exactly a month ago today. Four silver sussex and two light sussex. I had read they can be quite difficult to sex untill quite old and that does seem to be the case! Thought I'd see whether people think the same or opposites to me, just for fun mainly! A week or so ago it seemed really clear cut as a couple had their comb and wattles turn red while the rest stayed light, but now their behaviour and development seems a bit inconclusive! (mainly as one of the ones i thought was definitely female has hopped up and practiced mating with its 'mother' a couple of times!) Is that normal so young by the way?! Not sure if its a dominance thing or a clear cut way of knowing its a roo!
    Ok, here we go..

[​IMG] LS1

[​IMG]LS2

[​IMG] SS1

[​IMG] SS2

[​IMG] SS3

[​IMG] SS4

Anyone thats raised them have a theory on them? I've been tracking them quite closely so now I have to wait and see what they turn out to be before I can see if my theories work or are coincidence!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    OK, my guesses..
    #1, can't really see the comb but it does not look pink, but those are some big feet... 60/40 that's a girl.
    #2, going with girl on that one, comb is really small and feet don't look as big... 80/20 for girl.
    #3, SS1, seeing some red in the wattle but not like the others, can't really see the comb, going girl 60/40.
    #4, SS2, that's a lot of red wattle development, going boy on that one 90/10
    #5, SS3, red and red, going boy on that one 80/20
    #6, SS4, red and red, boy again 90/10
    I've only had speckled sussex, so don't really know how they would compare, but I've found the speckleds fairly easy to sex fairly early, generally they seem a lot more definite than these do. Though behavior doesn't seem to have much to do with the sex, half the time the most dominant rooster acting chick is a female.

3. vymichelle

vymichelle Hatching

Oct 2, 2011
    Thanks for your guesses!
    At the moment I think LS1 is a girl and LS2 is a boy - their combs are still about the same but 2 is very gangley and upright where as 1 is silky and like a little mini hen, and very quiet.
    With the silvers I think SS1 is a girl as although it's comb was actually the first to turn red it has stayed really small. The other three I think are probably boys, but SS2 has different feathering so I've not given up on that being a girl, it has the most comb and wattle development but doesn't look like a boy, its compact and very smooth, whereas the ones I think are boys are still quite scruffy looking! Can't wait to find out! I'm only keeping my favourite 2, one of each sex, as I already have 4 hens, so I've only let myself get attached to one (the one that grew in the cracked egg I posted about) So I will keep that, whatever it turns out to be! SS3 he is.
    It's all very exciting, I've only ever had 1 or 2 chicks at a time so this is my first time having a proper little gang of them and they are just so lovely to have around!
    Anyone else going to guess?
    10 points per chick if you get them right! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: