Guess the Sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jingles, Oct 15, 2015.

1. jingles

jingles Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2015
    Hi all,

I have a 2 1/2 week old platinum or silver sussex (not sure) - Frankie. I know it is too early to tell, but I thought I'd post a couple of pics to get the bidding started then update every couple of weeks till we get a conclusion. I am leaning to rooster, as he walks quite upright and to me his legs look thick (not that I have any other chicks to compare to. Apologies for the blurry photos - he never stands still :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Adorable little fellow! But he/she is to young to sex accurately maybe you could post again when he/she is around 8-10 weeks?

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    X 3 WHAT A CUTIE PIE

6. jingles

Jul 31, 2015
    Hi again,

So we are 2 weeks on and Frankie Jr is looking more & more like a boy to me (pink comb, though not grown, and I can see tiny wattles coming through)! It is no big deal, as we are rural and I think a rooster might be good for the flock. It does mean that next time Prof goes broody I'll have to ensure only girl day olds, but that is a question that can wait until next time :). Anyway, here is the pretty boy, feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong!! The pictures are not amazing, as he is a bit scared of me at the moment - I will start my treat taming mission soon :)

He was sold to me as a platinum Sussex, but looks a bit dark relative to what I've seen on the Internet - does this seem about right?

Thanks heaps,

Julia [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

7. jingles

Jul 31, 2015
    [​IMG]

8. jingles

Jul 31, 2015
    [​IMG]

9. jingles

Jul 31, 2015
    [​IMG]

10. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Yep, I would say cockerel just by the way he carries himself, head high and long legs... And I do see a pink comb. Too young for a pullet to be showing a pink comb, so I'd say you have a pretty little cockerel. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by