Guess the Silkie genders :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MsLisaG, Apr 18, 2012.

1. MsLisaG

MsLisaG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Northern California
    These two silkies are about 7 weeks now. Any guesses on gender? I have my suspicions, wondering what others will say. I know it's just a guess at this point, but I'm interested in opinions all the same. :)

Chick #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MsLisaG

Mar 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Anyone? [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I believe 7 weeks is too young to sex. I've heard silkies are very hard to sex and this is one breed that you'll need to hear crowing or lay an egg.

Sorry I'm no help, maybe a silkie expert can help.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  4. MsLisaG

Mar 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Yes, anything at this point would simply be a guess. I'm fine with waiting until someone crows or lays an egg, I just thought it would be fun to get other opinions. Hoping a silkie expert will weigh in. :)

5. DuckyLou

DuckyLou Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    East Texas
    I have 2 silkies as well, and do not have a clue which sex they are! Yours are ADORABLE!!!!

6. gambit2178

gambit2178 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    CALI
    Looks to me that #1 is a rooster and #2 is a henny...either way I think they are both cute!

7. MsLisaG

Mar 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Thanks for the compliments. :)

Gambit, that's what I think too based on the bumpy comb starting and observing #1's behavior. Btw, the silkie in your avatar is so cute! :)

8. gambit2178

gambit2178 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    CALI
    Also chick # 2 has a sweet look to her! I'm also letting behavior give me an idea of who might be this and who might be that...roosters have this distictive look and behavior. Please keep me posted.
    Thank you, she is a cutie indeed, she loves posing for the camera!

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They look so much younger than 7 weeks! :th

At 8 weeks I picked out two pullets that were indeed pullets. However, these two still look very young to me. If I had to guess, I'd go with 1 being a cockerel, and 2 being a pullet.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] Here is my girl Ida @ 8 weeks old for reference. She still has not laid her first egg and is now *gets out calendar* 31 weeks old. WHAT?! Where are my darn eggs!!! :th I should not have calculated her age! Now I'm going to be harassing her for eggs on a daily basis :rant [​IMG] Here she is a few weeks back. I usually let my roos determine readiness to lay. First successful mating = 1-2 weeks from first egg laid. It's worked with all of my 13 girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by