Guess today I'm getting a shell less egg CONTAINS A GRAPHIC PICTURE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 1, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    My new layer must have laid her shell less egg last night - this is what I found in the sand of the manure box when I went to scoop it out this morning. Looks like a membrane egg, but no shell. Yesterday her egg was perfectly formed and large. We've gotten a perfectly formed egg for 6 out of 7 days - they started small and have gotten bigger. Now today I got this.

[​IMG]

These were her past eggs.
    [​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It can happen from time to time, if it becomes a regular thing I would worry. DO they have acess to oyster shells?

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Sorry double post

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  4. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I've hand fed her oyster shells - but she isn't very interested in eating it. I was thinking of scrambling up some store bought eggs and putting them into the egg mixture and giving it to her as a treat to see if she'd eat them that way - I could crush up the shells and put them in the egg mixture as well. She's on Purina Start & Grow because I have mixed ages in there. She'll be 20 weeks on Saturday, I also have 3 that are 16 weeks as of last Tuesday and 8 that are 7 weeks today. So I only give her oyster shell as a treat -but again she hasn't been interested in eating it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    So I decided to just put a bowl of oyster shell down to see what happens after reading how the little chicks will naturally not want to eat it since that was my concern. And of course Snow White is busy gobbling it down. Go figure. Maybe she just didn't like eating it from my hand. She really wasn't interested in it yesterday when I offered it to her from my palm. She will eat mealyworms from my hand so I figured she just didn't want the oyster shell. And the others aren't even touching the stuff so I'll just keep the bowl out there for her.

I might still scramble her up an egg and just leave the egg shell out of it - they could all use a little treat.

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Snow White went into the coop and made the egg laying song - then she went into the nest box, made a circle and came out - without laying anything. Was the egg I found in the manure box the one she thought she was laying today?

7. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    No the egg she laid in the manure is called a wind egg. It happens when they are just starting with laying, not all of the time but sometimes. She will lay another egg for you again. The wind eggs get dumped out when ever and it's not an egg to the chicken.

8. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Okay I'll check again later for a real egg. Right now she's in the run under the coop trying to avoid the roosters advances again. He gets on her so much I may have to buy her a hat and saddle.

9. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Still no egg as of 4:30 pm and the sun is almost down. My guess is she won't lay one today after all.

10. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    As of 6 pm there's no egg so today is not an egg day. [​IMG]

Hopefully she'll be fine tomorrow and lay again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by