1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guess we have a new barn kitty

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thndrdancr, Feb 18, 2011.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I get SO upset with people. We have one male cat around here that was a dumpee, his foot got crushed but I didnt have the heart to shoot him so have been feeding him. Its obvious he was never feral. Would have brought HIM inside when we had that brutal winter last year but we are severely allergic to cats. So any we have HAVE to be outside/barn kitties.

Well tonite, went out to put the chickens and ducks up, and there is this most gorgeous kitty I have ever seen in my life. Long long fur and a creamy calico looking thing, fluffy as all get out. Its ALSO obvious she is a dumpee. Came right up to us, loved on our leg, meowed. Well I couldnt get my silly silkies to go into the coop, so they are out for the night. Gave the cat a big bowl of food with milk so she wont be tempted to have silkie supper. And cuz I am a sucker.

My great pyr went crazy, wanting to "kill" the intruder, so now I have to supervise him that she is ok. I am just fed up with people. Why would anyone dump such a beautiful sweet animal. No way they know the dangers of the country, big dogs, coyotes, owls and finding food.

Just mad that people can be so cruel. I know it happens constantly, but it just burns me up. Mom always taught me an animal is a COMMITMENT! No matter what kind of animal! They depend on us.

sigh....Just venting, ,know most all of you feel the same way.

If she makes it the next few days, I will take pictures, she is a beauty.

2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    That's too bad that someone would dump a "house" cat. I remember when you bought your place and what was inside.

I hope she makes it! Can any of your neighbors take her?

BTW didn't you have 2 pyrs?

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Cats cannot digest the lactose milk past kittenhood, so it isn't a good idea to be giving it to the cats. It can cause diahrrea and other gastrointestinal upsets, just like when humans are lactose intolerant. Once they are adults, they stop producing lactase, so the sugars in the milk are fermented in the colon by the bacteria in there, which is most uncomfortable (used to be lactose intolerant here, thankfully I naturally grew out of it!).

Thank you for taking care of them though. With strays/ferals I buy a big bag of cheap food like meow mix. My pet cats get a great, grain free food...but for the wild kitties, they will take anything they can get.

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I forgot about the milk, I was just trying to soften the dog food, which is all I had on hand at the moment and it was an emergency, what do I give her kind of thing.

Oh and pb, yes I did have two pyrs. I rehomed the girl back in the fall, she was just not a good guardian had a huge tendency to wander. She loved kids and gravitated towards males, and didnt give a FIG for guarding poultry or livestock.

I found a great home that had three kids and the man had lost his "soulmate" dog two years prior, it turned out great for her, she even jumped right in their vehicle when they came to get her so I took that as a great sign. I screened pretty carefully so I hope she is a happy dog, at least she was spayed so we know she didnt go to a puppy mill type of home. They updated me the first month she was there. They were also familiar with pyrs and had owned one quite some years back.

I kept the boy, and right now its rough as he started to just stay home until the neighbors dog came over to fetch him to play. He guards the chickens well tho, I was so proud of him, two weeks ago I saw him chase a hawk away, and he has run off/killed one coon.

We have some problems with some neighbors down the road, they shoot dogs for fun so I worry bout him. They shot my sweet neighbors two dogs(1 a very expensive akc Pyr) while she was walking down the road with them!!!! She has a restraining order against them and is sueing for damages but it hasnt seemed to stop them. [​IMG] Just made them mad and sneaky. They were not even near his property, just walking on the road with her.

So now when we leave the house we put our boy in the garage, as they have been scoping out our place too and it scares me to death. He is very confused cuz he just got to the point where he thinks he needs to be out guarding his charges. [​IMG]

Anyhow didnt mean to sidetrack bout the kitty. Doubt any of the neighbors want her as two neighbors hate cats and shoot them on sight, and the sweet neighbors already have their quota.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  5. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Can people really be that sick? To shoot someones dog as they are walking it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by