Guess what?? Cow are not humans

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by DLS, Apr 24, 2009.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

2. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    I think we should get to vote on what OUR money is spent on [​IMG]

3. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I did a study dogs have differnet bodies then cats

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The fact that cows are not humans has been known for years. You are missing the point of the study. They were looking into the genes and why cows have more stomachs and why they can expell so much protein through their milk. Cows and humans are mammals and yet there are differences that until a study like this one, the reasons were not fully known.

5. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    They sequenced a genome, which is awesome and certainly not a waste of money. I was all ready to get mad at pork, and now I'm left with nothing to be mad about . . .

Yay for science!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  6. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Whole genome sequencing is extremely useful, actually. It has immediate applications--now the beef/dairy industries will be able to breed for greater production, better health, various useful traits. They will also be able to breed for genetic diversity and avoid bottlenecks from overly-inbred animals.

After they sequenced the entire human genome, they found causes for a lot of diseases that they had previously thought were environmental; turned out they were genetic in origin, but caused by multiple gene interactions.

It's also good for telling you whether or not an animal is actively evolving certain characteristics. For example, human immune systems are actively evolving rather quickly, and we see increases in people with allergies; you hardly ever used to know anyone with an allergy, it was rare, but now seems like lots of people have allergies of some sort.

7. DLS

I AM GLAD THAT PEOPLE HAVE JOBS CREATED BY THIS KIND OF RESEARCH... BUT I should choose if i want my tax dollars wasted on gnomes or spent on something that could help ME LIKE OIL & gas production in our own country... BUT I don't .What a country.

8. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    That settles it! I am applying for a research grant to see if cows are really goats! [​IMG]

Chris

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:You don't like to eat? With people building on prime crop land more and more we need to figure out how to produce not the same but MORE food on less and less acres. Don't think it's important? Stop eating and see how long before you change your mind--WE ALL NEED TO EAT! So if it's not helping you then research on things like oil and gas won't help you either as you won't be around to worry about it.

10. DLS

I agree we all need to eat. That is why I own land & grow 90% of my food the rest I shoot in the wild... On my own land also.. all the rest of the hungry people tough luck I ain't sharing. while all the rest was living high & destroying the farmland , I was buying what I could & I will be-- almost am now a hermit & self supporting.I agree there are several millions that will die from starvation .. its on the way . but a few of us will survive & spread the -gnomes that are pure. to repopulate the land with good(better) humans than what slithers on the city streets now..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by