Guess what I am expecting!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gpamela3499, Jan 2, 2010.

1. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Yes I Am expecting a baby in the summer time. I am also the only care taker of my hens. I am concerned about any special precautions I need to take.
    I know about Taxoplasmosis (I know spelling) that you can get from cleaning the cat litter box. Is there anything I showed be careful with in regards to the hens. Their coop in the current damp cool weather is a little smelly and I would like to clean it. I have a particle mask but that is not going to protect me from the very small things that could harm my baby (bacteria). I do use gloves and wash after collecting eggs. I wear different shoes in the coop than in the house. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any medical professionals out there or others with experience in this area? [​IMG]

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    sorry I'm not sure about that, but congrats!!! [​IMG]

3. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Nothing i have ever heard

BUT CONGRATULATIONS!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:weee:hugs:woot:ya:clap:bun

*Is excitable*

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  4. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    Hi there, I am not a medical expert, but I do have 5 kids and am expecting my 6th right now, due in March!

I am also the primary caretaker of the animals. I would caution about over working yourself, keep warm when you go out if you live in a cold climate. Its tough to lug water around, I switch to 3 gallon water buckets to carry instead of 5 gallon. Break up the chores a little bit so you don't do it all at once, your back and feet will thank you!

Other than basic hygiene, such as washing hands before and after, I do not know of any special precautions to take with chickens or eggs during pregnancy. I have had chickens on and off my whole life and never had any troubles either. That's assuming you don't have any allergies and then I'm not sure. If it makes you feel better you should wear the mask, I haven't felt the need to do that before, but then, maybe the seasons worked out just right for me at the time that the litter didn't feel too risky to me!

Best of luck and congratulations!!![​IMG]

5. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

I actually have 7 children this is #8. It is the first since I began raising the chickens though. I am especially concerned about cleaning the poop in this damp cool climate because it does breed a lot of mold already. I am especially concerned with the bacteria that might hurt us.

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm expecting my 5th baby (4th boy) in April. I'm not doing anything to stir up the dust in the coop, but other than that it's business as usual with the chickens chores. Congrats on your pregnancy! [​IMG]

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
  8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Congrats! [​IMG] As for cleaning, if you are concerned about the dust or dropping, you can always wear a mask when you muck the coop and just be sure you wash your hands. [​IMG]

9. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Wow! 8 children?? You must have your hands full! My mom had 6 and just that was/is a chore. [​IMG]

Again, congrats and I wouldn't really worry about it too much. Like some others said, if you want to you can wear a mask just in case.
    Good luck!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  10. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Thanks again for all the info. I did look up histoplasmosis. Yeah I am kind of old and this was a bit of a surprise. Currently only three young ones at home though so it won't be to hard. My oldest is 24 next is 22, 20, 17 (not at home with his dad), and at my home 15, 9 almost 10, and 4 almost 5. The oldest 5 were two or three years apart and that THAT was hard.

Thanks everyone
    I guess I won't be able to get out of mucking out the coop [​IMG] I was hoping to say to my DH " I could catch this terrible thing that could hurt the baby if I clean the coop" of course his reply would have been "Awwww I quess that means the chickens will have to be given away. " smiling. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by