1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

><> Guess what I caught today! <>< *UPDATE* Pics Added!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by missourichickenmama, Apr 25, 2009.

1. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    My first fish! [​IMG] It was a Perch. My second fish was a catfish!!!!!! It put up quite a fight... But eventually I pulled it in. It was so satisfying to fight the big old fish and win!

On my first fish, I grabbed the body, Dad saw that and said not to do that because you could get finned. I wondered what he meant by that, and soon found out. the fish flopped onto the ground and forgetting what he said, I reached down and tried to pick it up by its body. As soon as my hand closed over it, pain seared my hand. Ignoring it I picked up the fish and threw put it in the water. After that, I learned to respect this defense strategy of fish. I will never do that again!
    Dad would not let me handle the catfish, he said that it could really tear me up. I will post pics of my first and second fish, as well as a fish that I have no idea what it is.
    I caught another perch, a trout, and a few more.
    Fishing sure was good today![​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2009
  2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:ekkkkkkkkkkk ive never been finned, sorry to hear about that!

i do love and miss fishing.

3. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I was always afraid they would stick me, so I used to wrap a burdock leaf around them. I prefer not to catch them because they seem to swallow the hook a lot.

Congrats! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Smart Dad(thats sorta redundant) Be care even the kitty fish can get ya. [​IMG]

Now wheres the pictures? Or was this just a Fishing Story? No pictures/no fish thats the rules, sorry.

5. missourichickenmama

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:ekkkkkkkkkkk ive never been finned, sorry to hear about that!

i do love and miss fishing.

At least I know not to do it again. That first fish was small, but I was still so happy when I reeled it in!

6. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    How Exciting for you [​IMG]

I remember my first catch...

You dad is a wise man not to let you handle the catfish. There scaleless and slimy.

So, it would be easy for them to slip in you hand and hurt you. [​IMG]

7. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I'm not much of a fisherman, but that seems like an odd variety of fish to catch in the same area. Good job though.

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Well congrats, BTW my first catfish scared thehell out of me because I had no clue how they looked like before and I swear I thought that I had cought some beast [​IMG] [​IMG]

Omran

9. missourichickenmama

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:All of the pictures are on my mom's camera. She is taking a nap now. As soon as I can I will post all of the pics of the fish.
    [​IMG] On the first pic you will see me kissing my first fish. [​IMG] Mom took FOREVER to take that pic. My little brother did not want to kiss his first fish [​IMG] [​IMG] .

10. missourichickenmama

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:They stocked their pond with a variety of fish. It's a very well stocked pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by