1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guess what I found!!!! Im so happy !!:D Lots of Pics

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cat1994, Feb 15, 2011.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I was raking hay in my cow pasture when I stumbeled upon something!! A goose nest!!! I have 3 geese 2 males and 1 female (Im soon selling 1 of the males). They are very low quality african geese I got as babies from the feed store. My female (Goosey Lucy) stared laying last yr. I collected all the eggs. Im going to let her raise lil geese this yr!!!!Any tips on how to make sure her and the eggs are safe through the broodying process, would be very appreciated! This will be my first time with a broody goose and any lil babies she may hatch!!! Im so excited!!!
    This is Goosey Lucy
    [​IMG]
    This is her husband Xander
    [​IMG]
    This is her on her old nest by the house
    [​IMG]
    This was her first egg last yr
    [​IMG]
    And this is her nest now
    [​IMG]
    her new nest again
    [​IMG]
    I just had to tell you all !!! Thanks for any advice!!!

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:woot

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    YAY!!!

Laurie

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is she secure from predators in her chosen spot? When nesting in the open, I always worry about predators.

5. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:No not at all. She is out in the pasture. That is why I need some advice on how to keep her safe. When she goes broody I could build a pen around her until they hatch and are big. But should I let the gander in the pen with her all the time, or does he not need to be with her at all times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by