1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

guess what i found in my chick cage this morning...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mhwc56, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i am soooooo NOT HAPPY right now!
    i went out to tend the coturnix and found a 3+ foot long black snake FULL to almost bursting with 6 of my 2 week old breeding project chicks.............[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    although i wont kill it ,it will be going on a VERY LONG trip far far away!!

2. scottysquails

scottysquails Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] dang snakes!

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Slay that snake!!!

4. the outdoorsman

the outdoorsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Quote:x2

5. CoCkYone88

CoCkYone88 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I like a short trip for my relocations, whereever the 12 gauge put em critters.

6. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    I came home not long ago and found a black snake in with my almost fully grown bantams. He had eaten "Leland" our biggest pet!![​IMG] He sealed his fate because he could not get back through the wire. I like black snakes and king snakes to hang around to eat mice and other snakes, but this one had gone too far. Normally I would have relocated him but he really made me mad and I, with no bad feelings what so ever, cut off his head and threw him down the hill. Sometimes you have to make a stand for your chicks.[​IMG]

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:that is my major problem right now. Snakes! I would really slay it because it will travel back to it's food source [​IMG] so sorry Martha! I feel your pain [​IMG]

8. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i 'm very tempted to just do it in but ... i just can't...it was only doing what came natural to it. i do know it would return if i let it go locally. i told my folks in georgia i was sending it to them! LOL really haven't decided where it's going yet.
    of all the birds to choose to eat WQHY did it have to eat my project birds though?!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I had one in a silkie pen yesterday, it was in the nest box. I took a pruner and got him...

10. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    slit him open!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by