GUESS WHAT I found in the chicken coop this AM!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sunny Side Up, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    My SE Florida yard is filled with surprising animal finds. Venomous snakes, giant spiders, legless lizards, armadillos, walking catfish, neighborhood pet pigs, insects, rodents, and birds of all shapes & sizes are just a sample of the fascinating parade of animals that pass through our place.

But even I was surprised to find what was lying in a corner of a chicken pen this morning...

.........it was an ENORMOUS..............................................................

.............................................SCALY.................................................

.........................................................BRIGHT GREEN..........................

.................................................................................DEAD.................

...........................................................................................................

...........................................................................................IGUANA !!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now there are a lot of these big iguanas here in So Fla, congregating in certain places more than others. They're not native, are a result of folks releasing their unwanted pets into the wild, and cause a lot of trouble where their numbers are high. But I've never seen any in my neighborhood before.

We are on a canal, my whole neighborhood is criss-crossed with these drainage canals, so this critter could have swam in from anywhere. When I went out in the morning to check on my flocks, I noticed this thing in the corner of one pen. It was lying on its belly with its nose buried in the dirt. At first I thought it was one of my boys' toy dinosaurs they'd been playing with in there. Then I realized what it was, & next wondered if it was alive or just nosing for something in the dirt. I was going to find a box or crate to try & catch it, because they can run surprisingly fast, and climb up into treetops in an instant. But then I saw that its sides weren't moving, and there were flies buzzing around its face, so I knew it was dead.

Its body was about 18" long, and its tail an additional 18". It was still floppy, like it had just recently expired. There was goo in its mouth & a small puddle of blood where its mouth had been. It didn't look injured anywhere else. I was in a big hurry to make an appointment, so I didn't have much time to examine it too closely, nor to take any photos (sorry folks!). I just had time to dig a big deep hole with the post-hole digger and bury the body. I also took a shovel & scooped up all the dirt with the blood in it, and tossed it into the hole too.

So now it's time for CSI: Reptile. What did this iguana die from? It was in a pen with bantams, I don't think they pecked it hard enough to kill it. And the ground wasn't thrashed up as if there was a big fight there. There's a huge ficus tree hanging over this pen, maybe it fell off a branch into the pen and died from internal injuries. Some of the bantams like to roost high up in this tree, maybe the iguana was crawling along their branches and they startled it so it lost its grip. I wonder if these big iguanas will try to eat eggs, or chicks, or bantam-sized birds.

Just when you think you've Seen Everything, something new comes along to surprise you...

2. Solace

Solace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Rutherford County, NC
    They'll eat eggs, but are more apt to tear up your flower gardens. They like plants more than anything. I know when I was down there working in Ft. Myers there were places that had a $25 bounty for each one you killed. I was out on one of the islands down there one day a 5-6' long adult scared the dickens out of me because I didn't see it when it decided to run past me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by