Guess what I found this morning..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Big Dreamer, May 13, 2011.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    My 2 Welsh Harlequins are laying 1 egg a day, and this fine morning i found 3!!!! I think one of the scovie hens is laying..Probably Bubbles because i saw her come out of the hutch when i found it! It was even in the nest box with 1 other egg. The 3rd egg was on the ground right by the nest box in a big crater nest looking thing..does that mean they want to nest. All of them????
    [​IMG]

2. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    [​IMG] Pretty much when they lay ,they will build nest, if you don't provide one. I use rubbermaid bins with the front mostly cut down.Easily to clean.

3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

lol i like the face on tht

4. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I provide a rubbermaid tub on its side with a plank of wood in front to keep the bedding in and they lay in that well atleast 1 does and then today i found another 1 and the other one keeps making a crator and laying them in that same one. I just found another egg when i got back from school..in the same crater!!!! I left it in there and im hoping the scovie hens will go broody..DO all muscovies go broody???????????????????????????????????????????????????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    IDK i have one female scovie Sophie she is about 6 1/2 weeks old and i am hoping she will go broody cause i wont get a incubator cant afford it. plus i want to go as natural as possible LOL!!!! well hope she go's broody for you

6. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:That might depend on if you have a drake in there with them. She might not go broody if the eggs arent fertile? i dunno good luck though

7. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I have to many drakes to hens...so i dont think i got a problem there!! But just recentley i have 2 drakes free roaming 24/7 so now its 4 hens to 3 drakes so i still need to build a batchelor pad i put some bedding in the crater and the hens got really investigative about it

8. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:That might depend on if you have a drake in there with them. She might not go broody if the eggs arent fertile? i dunno good luck though

Some will try to go broody regardless if they are fertile or not, keep in mind also that hens can be away from drakes for a period of time and still lay fertile eggs if you ever separate them.

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I am new to ducks, but I have 4 Muscovies, 1 drake and 3 hens...the hens have all gone broody this year...one sat but nothing hatched out and she abandoned the nest..not really sure why. I saw the drake mating with all of them...if the other 2 don't hatch I'll get rid of the drake and get a new one. I guess I could candle the eggs, but not quite sure how to do it w/o a professional candling machine..

10. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    D'Angelo N Va. :

I am new to ducks, but I have 4 Muscovies, 1 drake and 3 hens...the hens have all gone broody this year...one sat but nothing hatched out and she abandoned the nest..not really sure why. I saw the drake mating with all of them...if the other 2 don't hatch I'll get rid of the drake and get a new one. I guess I could candle the eggs, but not quite sure how to do it w/o a professional candling machine..

Just take a powerful flashlight to it in the dark and make sure that no light comes from under the egg and then ittl show veins in I think 7 days at the least easy as that....from what i heard​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by