Guess what I found today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SimplySplendidSilkies, Oct 23, 2010.

1. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    AN EGG! YaY! 7 mths took them long enough. I bought some new nest boxes today thinking that would help, then spent the better part of the day cleaning and sanitizing them all up to sit and dry the next couple of days, went in the coop to clean out a spot to place them since they are not using the other one my hubby built. (Not knowing anything about silkie nor listening to my suggestions I might add). And there it was the sweetest little egg I have ever seen! It looks perfectly normal. If anyone has been reading my threads you will know I hatched 8 out of 16 going into lockdown just 3 days ago and have been bummed about that, and Jen is shipping my showgirl to me soon and offered up a few eggs. I was not thrilled about incubation again after this upset, but did not turn down eggs. I hope to get Jen's eggs in time to slip them under my hen, notice I did not say pullet. Will that work? Will she still sit for me if a few don't hatch at the same time. I am thinking a week diffrence. I will contact Jen and see if she can work with me here. I am so happy! I will go out bright and early tomorrow and listen for the egg song. Very eggciting things going on here.

Here is a pic not that it looks any diffrent than any other silkie egg but it is MY very own egg! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    That's a sweet egg. Congrats!!!

3. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    She won't sit if she's not broody. Is she broody??? Chances are if she laid an egg she's not broody. Did she stay on the egg all day or did you have to chase her off. If she laid it and went away chances are she's not broody. In that case, you'll need to use the incubator.

4. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    That was my next question. She just laid it and it is laying there. I thought after a few were laid she would go to sitting. I need to bring it in then. I did not want to incubate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by