Guess what I got today! PICS!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LegginMF12, Nov 13, 2011.

1. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    We went to a place I shall not name today. While we were there they made mention of do I want some chickens as they do not want to take care of them. When I went to the pen, a very large roofless pen with solid walls and no roosts or shelter, I found this guy. There was some dirty water in a bowl but no food in sight. There was supposed to be 2 but one was laying there dead. I took this guy. I am going to venture a guess of poor feeding and exposure to the elements as the cause of death for the second rooster. It took me five minutes to catch this guy. I grabbed a hand full of scratch on my way back to the car, this poor guy DOVE for it! When I got home I put him in the laundry room and gave him a bowl of food. He mobbed me trying to eat it before I put it on the floor. I am going with this poor guy is very hungry. He is very flighty, so for him to mob me for food says something. Unfortunately I can't keep him and need to re-home him. He is currently still in the wash room happily making a mess until I can clean out the shed I am going to be using for a brooder in the future. I love his coloring!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His soon new temporary lodgings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    He is a very handsome, but thin Naked Neck chicken. Thank God you rescued him. It is possible that he fought with and killed the other roo, but it sounds more like a straight case of animal cruelty, or at the very minimum severe neglect. If they have any other animals I would report them asap. I can't stand not feeding my animals.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  3. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I can tell you he has got game! He has not stopped crowing back and forth with my BO roo for almost 2 hrs now. Anybody interested in taking him? The people that took them "didn't want them eaten".
    1. He is so skinny there ain't no meat on him anyways
    2. Ummm hello, better eaten and used than starved to death and thrown away!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    God bless you for saving him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by