Guess what I saw this morning!!!

MissChessy

Songster
12 Years
Sep 24, 2007
Texas
I was walking to go check out the hen house to see if there were any eggs, and lo and behold I come upon a Texas Coral Snake about 2 1/2 feet long slithering under my boardwalk. Instincts told me to turn about face and run. I just stood there and watched it. Such a beautiful, but venomous creature. I left it alone. It wasn't bothering me, and they say it has to literally chew on you to kill you. I had my shrimping boots on anyways. Gave me the shivers! :eek:

Time to get some Guinea fowl
lol.png

I know I know, I always say that
lol.png

I know having a King Snake around won't make you happy but they are considered to be beneficial snakes. They eat a lot of vermin and are immune to the poison of the rattlesnake and the copperhead.

Remember, touch a fellow and red touch black, good for Jack.

I know that some Guinea fowl can eat small snakes depending on the size of the snake and yes...Guinea fowl do make a "Magreep, Magreep" sound. They will roost in trees at night even if you have a coop for them. Should you decide to get them, please don't get the white ones. If you can't get them into their pen at night they will be the first ones picked off by any owls.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Yeah, those just aren't the type of snake that you ahve to worry *too* much about because they have tiny little mouths with fixed teeth rather than fanges and are generally non-aggressive. Not the type that hangs out under a bush and strikes you when you step too close by accident.

Just be careful if you have children. Coral snakes are very docile and approachable, plus they are pretty. Most of the time when people get bitten it's because they see a pretty snake that isn't hissing or striking at them so they figure it is harmless and pick it up.

Kids are especially vulnerable because they are more likely to see a pretty, calm snake and pick it up to play with it. Eventually, the snake is bound to get annoyed and want to be let go and then you end up getting bitten!

Much more difficult to make this kind of mistake with the other venomous snakes like a rattler for example. They aren't particularly 'pretty' and they are so aggressive that you'd have to be an idiot to mistake the "stay the heck away from this one" message!

Remember, touch a fellow and red touch black, good for Jack.

:| Wuh...? :|

Isn't it:
"Red touch yellow, kill a fellow; red touch black, friend of Jack"​

Yup...I stand corrected...or maybe I would be lying down corrected!
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
I don't have any young children. Whew! It was beautiful, I can say that much. Pretty scary though.

Coral snakes are non-aggressive, so just walk away. I know someone who handles them - but I wouldn't try it.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom