Guess what I saw today!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Year of the Rooster, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    This evening when my mom was bringing me home from weightlifting we were driving by our town's foundry. They had pulled up all of their bushes around the building and all that was left was dirt. When I looked I saw three adult sparrows taking a dust bath! Just like a chicken would!!! I have NEVER seen a bird, other than a chicken, do that. It was funny and cute to watch them, they would do it so fast it gave me a chuckle. [​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Yea we have Zebra Finches who enjoy dust baths. :]

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Really? I've never seen a wild bird take a dust bath before. Just baths in bird baths and puddles.

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    all my birds love taking dust baths.. from my finches to chickens to ducks to quails..lol

5. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

Wait till you see something like 13 quails taking a dust bath!!!

6. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Chickens, birds, rabbits, dogs, they all love to take dust baths. We get bare dirt patches in our back yard where grouse and rabits will dust bath, you can sometimes still see the wing prints in the stired up dry dirt. Kinda like kids making snow angels.

7. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

I use to have a pen for outside rabbits and they never that I know of took dust baths. I am sure that would be a sight to see.

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    That's funny, I saw sparrows taking dustbaths when I was kid waaaaay before I ever saw a chicken do it. I've also seen them taking baths in rain puddles. Now that's funny! [​IMG]

9. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Last weekend I saw a adult male Robin sunning itself in my backyard. I had to call my children over to the kitchen window to look at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by