Guess what I'm feeding my chooks for treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Apr 7, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Their layer pellets. [​IMG]
    Apparently if you take a small amount of pellets out of the feeder and offer it to the chickens from your hand, they taste soooo much better. I've been doing this once or twice a day now for about a week and they greedily gobble them up every time.
    My chickens expect a treat every time they see me. I don't like to disappoint, but I'm also not feeding them 10 treats a day. Thus pellets are the simple solution and the chickens are none the wiser.

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    [​IMG] Too funny!!!

3. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    If you move there feeder to a different place or add more feed to it they will do the same. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh I know! When I bring their waterer out of the coop for cleaning they all run to drink out of it like it's chickie champagne - even though I usually set it down right next to their outside waterer. [​IMG]

5. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    I figured that one out trying to get the hens to eat calcium..I would crumble the egg shells from breakfast and toss them out like a treat..they come running and think it's wonderful. Bread is their favorite but I read that bread, too much, will constipate them so I'm careful it's only alittle bit of the white center part of the bread. They don't like vegetables I tried small pieces of those with no luck.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My chickens love bread, fruit and nuts. I haven't found a vegetable they do like, except corn.
    I figure it's because they free range and fill up every day on "natural greens".

7. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Hahaha. I'll have to give it a try. [​IMG]

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    About an hour ago, I locked up the coops for the night. One group of 9 hens (19 mo old) and a roo were low on pellets, but not empty. I knew they'd be out by morning and we're having a cold night at freezing temps. SooOOOooo, I got a 3 lb can of pellets to add to their feeder. The silly little things came of the roost to eat. [​IMG]

You would not believe how all of our various groups come running to eat wetted crumbles in the afternoons. Just 28% game crumbles, wetted...you'd think they were getting hot cereal or something. I give it to them for a protein boost, but they think it's some huge treat.

9. susanhai

susanhai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    middle tn
    I have a chihuahua that does the same thing:rolleyes:

10. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Chicken's brains and dog's brains must have more in common than we thought... "Food?! Where? Gimme!" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by