Guess What?! I'm new!

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
I guess you knew I was new, huh?

My name's Bobbie and I live on a 60 acre farm with my husband and two kids. My daughter is 7 and my son is 9. We have a horse (who is an abuse case I am trying to re-home), a pony, a Mini Schnauzer, 6 cats, a Mini Rex bunny and, of course, now 14 chicks! We've had them for a few days now and so far so good. I got 3 Tetra Tints, 3 Amberlinks, 3 Stars (thanks to BYC for helping me identify them because TSC had them in a tub labeled "Red Pullets") and 5 Brown Leghorns. This is my first flock of chickens, but I come from a long line of chicken owners. I don't know of a generation who's gone without chickens. My mother only had a few for a short period of time while I was a kid, so I don't really have any real hands-on knowledge - hence why I am here!

My husband has wanted chickens for the last 3 springs and I kept ignoring his pleas. This year, I took the idea seriously because my husband is not an animal person and after 3yrs of persistence, I decided I'd look into it. I went researching breeds and trying to find the cheapest route to get started. I got so into it, I found certain breeds I wanted, where I was placing the coop, what the coop would look like, the best place in my yard to free range, ect. Sadly, I did not get to start with the breeds I wanted. It was to expensive to go and buy them through the mail order sites. I wanted Black Australorp, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington and Delaware hens with an Ameraucana rooster. I decided to go with whatever TSC had because they were cheaper and if I decide chickens aren't for me, I won't have so much invested into my flock. I doubt I am going to regret my decision though. I actually want to sell the horses so I can focus only on chickens - it's a long story, but I want out of horses anyways. They are unridable (Pony is just being started undersaddle and the horse is only a pasture ornament) and I get no enjoyment out of them anymore. At least chickens you get eggs and you can eat them!

I do have two questions before I post this to the board...
1) Can you use the deep litter method in a coop with a floor, or do you need to have a dirt floor?
2) I don't plan on showing and I don't know if I want to try breeding. It depends mainly on how this starter flock goes. If I do, what is the basic forum opinion on cross breeding? I ask because all of the breeds I have picked aren't exactly common and I am thinking about crossing with the Ameraucana.

Thanks!

Hello
frow.gif
from Hesperia, Ca and
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC have been great. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

DLM works fine on a raised floor if it will not rot. I have a repurposed Hardie panel (cement board) as a floor covering.

Your breeding questions are beyone my expertise, but there is a section called Breeds, Genetics, & Showing that could help.

Last edited:
Thank you, Chicken Lytle! I've been lurking on BYC for a few weeks now and I've learned a lot from the forum and the other site information. Well, I bought a book, too.
I was going to use linoleum for the floor for the DLM, but someone told me it's better on a dirt floor. I honestly don't want to deal with a dirt floor. Having horses over the years in dirt floor stalls has really turned me off on that whole idea. The chickens will mostly be free ranged, but they will be cooped in the winter and I thought DLM would be the easiest on me and I can use the compost in the garden!

Welcome!!

1.) Yes you can use the deep litter method, many people on BYC use this method including myself. I mix a stall dry in with my litter to help with deodorizing. (Sweet PDZ) a lot of people you diatamaceous earth as well.
2.) Crosses with an ameraucana will end you up with an Easter egger if I'm not mistaken, sounds like a plan!

Quote:
lau.gif
Oh, hubby said no more than 25. I said no more than 40-50. Yes, 60 acres is a large place to lose a lot of chickens, too. We have coyotes, foxes, hawks, possums (that like the luxury of indoor living sometimes), raccoons, rats, snakes... and I don't know what else.

Thanks, Colie! I had what I think was an Ameracuana and RIR cross roo when I was 19/20. He was the nicest and biggest roo I have ever seen. Sadly, I can't say for sure what he was. I know the guy I bought him from had RIRs, Dorkings, Ameraucanas, SLs, Black Giant Jerseys some feather footed and bare footed bantams... Midas was white with red speckles in his neck and wing feathers. He had a long "lobster tail" (that is what the long feathers around/above the tail feathers on the back are called, right?) and a big tail. The red shouldered Phoenix resembles him a bit - except his tail was not that long. I'd like another like him, but I have no idea what he was, so...

Thanks for all the warm welcomes so far!

Here are my girls:
82238_100_0798.jpg

The 3 larger yellows are my Amberlinks.

Back
Top Bottom