Guess What My Hen Has Gone and Done now!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks_N_Horses, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Some of you may know that I have one broody hen that hatched out one chick 5 days ago. I go out this morning and she is sitting on an egg that she has just laid!

What should I do? Let her start another batch with a little chick at her side or take it away?

2. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I had a hen who diligently sat on the eggs for the full 21 days, then ditched the babies at 6 days and started laying again. She did that twice so it was her m.o. I ended up throwing the babies in with another, more maternal hen. Otherwise I'd have taken them inside and hand reared them, which may be what you are going to have to do.

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I did notice that the chick was outside of her nest and not cuddled up under her as usual but she still seems to like it. I ran her off her nest (not on purpose) and the chick followed her. I tried to pick the chick up and she attacked me [​IMG] LOL So I was really wondering how she is going to raise a chick while sitting on her eggs.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Did she maybe just lay the egg and hadn't gotten up yet? If she insisted on going back to sit on the egg, she is broodie and you will probably have to take the chick away.

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I was hoping I didn't have to take it away from her....the little chick is really attached to his moma.

I thought she might have just laid it because she usually never starts sitting until she has about 10 eggs but she is still sitting there every time I go check.

What would happen if I just took the egg instead of the chick?

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:If she is in full fledge broodie mode, she will probably still sit.

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:How many eggs did she have originally? She may think the egg she's just laid is about to hatch. I'd take the egg away from her.

8. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    She had 12 eggs I think, only one hatched. She sat on them for 3 days after the first chick and then ditched the nest so I threw out the eggs. Now she has a new egg and won't come off her nest except for food/water.

9. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    I think I would try just taking the egg, and try to keep her off the nest, but you may just have to take the baby [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by