Guess what showed up at my pond?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChknLvnFam, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ChknLvnFam

ChknLvnFam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I took my little boy back onto our hill to help me take some pictures of a car part I'm trying to sell. On the way up, I noticed a white ball near the edge of the pond. We took the pictures and headed down there to see what it was. It turned out to be a Muskovoy Duck that somehow wandered onto my property. I have no idea where it came from or why it's there. I'm a bit concerned that it could get killed because it sticks out like a sore thumb, especially at night.

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooooo, can you get a picture of it? Do you know if it's a drake or hen?

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    AWW! I lost a scovie hen a week or so back [​IMG] I say you bring it home and spoil it [​IMG]

4. Lund121671

Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    most muscovies do fly so maybe they will fly on home to where they came from. years ago we had all muscovie hens and no male. Well we had plenty of babies hatch because about a mile away a farm had them as well and the males would fly to our pond every few days and loan out there services.

5. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Usually if they have a deep pond they are safe from night time predators.

6. ChknLvnFam

Oct 4, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I don't know much about this breed, we had a pekin and a few blue swedes before (all gone due to a predator, very sad). I'm thinking it's a hen. The pond is somewhere between 12 to 20 feet deep, basically just a little stock pond. It's weird, she camps out down next to the cat tails and seems pretty tame, you can get to within a few feet of her before she moves out into the water. It would be great to find a few more to keep her company but there don't seem to be many in my area.

7. keeperofthehearth

If the pond stays opened thru the winter she will have a better chance of surviving. If you can get her tamed up a bit and get her to come up to the house it would be better. She's going to need a food source if your pond freezes up. If you were closer I'd give you a few of mine to keep her company. I have at least 10-15 I need to rehome or put in the freezer. Hope she does well. Scovies are wonderful ducks! [​IMG]

8. ChknLvnFam

Oct 4, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Looks like you're just over in Indiana, that's not as bad as California or something. I really miss having ducks, it would be nice to have a flock again. I was thinking of heading to Kokomo to pick up an engine, looks like you aren't too far off from there.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  9. keeperofthehearth

45 MIN. fm Kokomo! [​IMG] We have 1 Black Barred Drake and 1 Black Drake available if you want ducklings. [​IMG] Just pm me if you'd like to work something out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by