guess what we had for dinner?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by L&Schickens, Aug 19, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    This morning I went out and caught, cleaned, carved and cooked a rooster. Then I picked, peeled and baked an apple pie. I did a lot of clean up too of course. We ate good tonight.[​IMG]
    My husband came home and he and our son went and picked black berries that I will make into jam tomorrow. [​IMG]
    What a real farmer I am turning into! [​IMG]

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

[​IMG]
    Aaahhh, the country life. Great ain't it!

Edit: I should have said that we, too, had chicken. But it was no one I knew! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yayyyyyy for homemade and DIY !!!! Feels good don't it? [​IMG]

4. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I think we are going to have pizza tonight. Country cooking is very hard! [​IMG]

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    [​IMG]

What a coincidence. So are we.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is back to school day for my DD and she requested a special supper - something I have always done - first day of school and we have a celebration supper. She chose seafood, salad and roasted potatoes. Tonight will be crablegs, fried shrimp, a rich spinach salad and sugar/salt roasted potatoes. And dessert - still trying to figure out what.

7. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Back to school dinner sounds like a great idea!
    My son will be starting school for the first time next week. He does NOT want to go. I can't imagine why? [​IMG]
    Anyway, I have told him how much fun school will be and he just wants to stay home with me and the animals. So I think I will let him pick out a dinner for after school for him too![​IMG]

8. ronniega1

ronniega1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    vidalia ga
    I could never eat my babies they all have names and personalities....even my turkey will survive thanksgiving...apple and berries ok but not my babies lol glad you enjoyed yours though.....[​IMG]

9. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have been the same way for years. I decided if we ever needed to be self-sufficient, I needed to be able to do in the poultry around here. It has been a learning and rewarding experience and I am glad I finally got the guts to do it. My birds and happy and healthy when I do them, so I have no guilt about using them for what they were intended for. We raise chickens and love chickens, but what to do with all the "Extra" roos? Sell them or give them away to someone else who will eat them, or eat them our self. We choose to eat them ourselves. [​IMG]

10. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    L&Schickens :

I have been the same way for years. I decided if we ever needed to be self-sufficient, I needed to be able to do in the poultry around here. It has been a learning and rewarding experience and I am glad I finally got the guts to do it. My birds and happy and healthy when I do them, so I have no guilt about using them for what they were intended for. We raise chickens and love chickens, but what to do with all the "Extra" roos? Sell them or give them away to someone else who will eat them, or eat them our self. We choose to eat them ourselves. [​IMG]

That is exactly why I don't name my chickens....it's a lot easier to cook and eat them if you don't know their names.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by