Guess who got a splayed leg baby?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Vyraal, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Vyraal

Vyraal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    My heartstrings were pulled when I was out buying a chick, and one quickly turned to three, Ameraucaunas that is. I bought two and was offered the splayed leg free, what bleeding heart could say no? So currently I'm monitering it to see how well its walking is and admiring the little things determination, nothing but strength so far! Posting this from my phone so no pictures yet, sorry.

2. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

Thanks for taking in the poor soul! I bet if you didn't, no one would [​IMG]

3. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw the poor dear, it can't bend the leg at all; the joint is completely messed up, but the good news is the breeder doesn't believe in culling for cosmetic failures, and he was very glad I could take it. I have to say, its growing on me already, and is very adamant about cuddling! My mother has nicknamed her and her sisters, squirrel, duck, and sparrow*the splay* I'm trying to upload a video to youtube currently as my phone camera won't hook up with tinypic. Hdit: here you go!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Link doesn't work but from the image I see those appear to be EE's not Ameraucanas [​IMG]

But still, I hope it does well! [​IMG] I myself have been going through a couple months of hatching out quite a few chicks with splayed legs. I never cull them though, instead I put a bandaid on their legs to correct them, and in a week the chick is fine. Not sure why I'm getting this issue lately but it is so sad to see the severely splayed ones. I'm talking "help I can't swim on land"

5. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    I really do hate this phone sometimes...anyway I'm just going off what the breeder said, but hey, chicks always seem to come to me a mystery, so who knows how things will turn out. I still love em anyway. And wow, that bad? Luckily they have you to save their legs, Ilia. ^^ quote feature won't work atm, serious phone fail. Edit: http://m.youtube.com/profile?gl=US&hl=en_US&client=mv-google&user=VyraalChickenChannel hopefully this llink will work and rake you to my chicken channell, if not I have some serious linking issues!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It still doesn't work because it's linking me to what a Mobile would need to view. You need to give a URL that doesn't have the m. infront of the Youtube part, and doesn't have all the extra stuff at the end of the URL. It needs to be Youtube.com/watch=v? (some numbers and letters)

7. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    I'd do it now but its bed time for me..I'll just relink it tomorrow and put some pictures up, sorry.

8. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Hopefully this one works for you guys.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by