Guesses on breed? Just for fun!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by abserbean, Jul 27, 2014.

1. abserbean

abserbean Songster

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    I have three little chicks that we hatched out a week ago. They are from a free range flock, so very well may be mixed breeds. It is also probably too early too tell for sure, so just looking for some guesses. Thanks for looking!
    Chick #1, Sunny, hatched from either a green egg or dark brown. I thought at first she was an EE, but the legs are yellow and she is huge! I'm now thinking she came from the brown egg, and is either a welsummer or welsummer cross. She weighs almost twice what the other two chicks weight. Any guesses?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chick #2, Ace, seems to have small cheek poufs, legs are darker/slate, probably EE, possible OE. Either from a green or dark brown egg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick #3, Tiny, hatched out of a white egg. No clues on parentage. Small chick, very fast, mostly grey with some brown/cream areas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any thoughts? They may just be barn yard mixes, although I do know that the hens and roos she has together are all pure bred, but there are many breeds all mixed together.

2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chirping

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    the first one has chipmunk marking which makes me thing a rhode bar but im not sure
    the second one is tuff possibly a maran
    the third have never seen anything like it in my life good luck on the breeds :)

3. abserbean

abserbean Songster

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks for the guess! Here is a pic of them together, to show the size diff. And I am clueless on the last one too!
    [​IMG]

4. aquagolda

aquagolda Chirping

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    lol good luck on ur breeds and hope they turn out to be wonderful

5. abserbean

abserbean Songster

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    I'm now actually thinking that the big chick, Sunny, was tricking me and actually came from a white egg. If she is from a white egg, then based on her very precise chipmunk pattern, the feathers coming in, and her large size, I think she may be a brown leghorn or brown leghorn cross.
    I'm still leaning towards EE or an EE x marans cross (OE) for Ace, I'm fairly certain she came from the green egg.
    And I still have absolutely no idea about Tiny, if Sunny was from the white egg than she came from the dark brown, but she doesn't look like a marans or marans cross to me. I know the dark brown egg was from a BCM hen, I'm just not sure that could possibly be her mom.
    Hatching under a broody makes it more difficult, b/e I can't be certain or which egg everyone came from!
    I'll add some more pics in another week when they have more feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: