Guesses on Breed Mixes? (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chippy99th, Feb 12, 2017.

1. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I have two two-month-old chicks, a male and a female, siblings from the same clutch. I am very curious as to what breeds may have gone into them, as they are mutts. The mother is half silver phoenix and half bantam mutt. The father I'm not positive, but he's also a mutt and I believe has some EE in him. I know it's impossible to be certain, but I was wondering if anyone had any guesses as to what breeds they may have in them, based on the chicks and parents' appearances. I'm also wondering how they ended up looking so different from the parents.

Here is the male chick, Mo, a little dusty today:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And his sister, Una, also just after a dust bath (yes, she's missing a leg):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is their mom, Princess. First pic as a pullet and then when she was broody:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And here is their dad, McClellan:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Again, I know it's impossible to say for sure, but there are lots of breeds out there that I haven't worked with yet (including, I'm sure, some of the parents' ancestors) and I'm just looking for guesses. [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Probably not what you want to hear, but I don't think you're ever going to narrow it down. Both parents look to be mixed breeds themselves, so the chicks are mixes of mixes.

And I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure Una is a cockerel also. That's just too much red in the comb for a 2 month old pullet.

3. chippy99th

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I was afraid you'd say that! A perfectly reasonable answer, but doesn't do much to scratch my curiosity itch! [​IMG] Thanks though.

I'd actually be ok with it if Una turned out to be a roo as well. We actually weren't planning on keeping these chicks, but when we saw her (his?) leg we knew that chick probably wouldn't find a home elsewhere. Mo we kept as a buddy. Maybe if Una is a roo, it will help her stand up for herself. Although none of the chickens we've introduced them to so far have bullied Una for being different.

Now you've got me curious about that, too, as all our other male mutt chicks have been VERY obviously boys from early on, like Mo, but s/he does have much more red than their mom did at that age. Mutts always come with surprises I guess. Thanks for the heads-up.

4. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Your big rooster is absolutely beautiful, and is pretty obviously a mix of some sort of Easter egger or other bearded breed. The hen looks to be maybe a mix of a pea combed breed and a blue legged breed, and her color looks somewhat similar to a welsummer. Then their babies would be a mix of what all of those breeds are, and chicken genetics continue to amaze with a pure white chick out of those parents, haha. And what Una born like that?!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think Una is a cockerel. Your rooster is beautiful, whatever he is

6. chippy99th

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Yes, my big roo is beautiful.He left a feral flock to join us when he was a young adult, which is why I don't know his parentage. But he is just the sweetest. He even breaks up fights between other roosters. I'm a little bummed out that none of his sons have looked much like him so far. When that boy is gone it will truly be the end of an era.

And yeah, chicken genetics are crazy. We've never had a white chick (although he does have a few random calico or grey speckled feathers), and only one other with black-and-white like Una. And Una was born missing a leg, although I don't know if that's genetics or something amiss with the incubation as all the eggs hatched and the other 6 chicks were healthy and normal. S/he managed to hatch without any help, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by